Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anubhav Kale <An...@microsoft.com> on 2016/04/21 00:49:36 UTC

Changing Racks of Nodes

Hello,

If a running node moves around and changes its rack in the process, when its back in the cluster (through ignore-rack property), is it a correct statement that queries will not see some data residing on this node until a repair is run ?

Or, is it more like the node may get requests for the data it does not own (meaning data will never "disappear") ?

I'd appreciate some details on this topic from experts !

Thanks !

Re: Changing Racks of Nodes

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.
If the rack as defined in Cassandra stays the same (e.g.
cassandra-rackdc.properties), things will keep working as expected...
except when the actual rack (or fault domain) goes down and you are likely
to lose more nodes than expected.

If you change the rack as defined in Cassandra, the node will start
handling queries it does not have data for.

The best way to change the move racks is to decommission the node, then
bootstrap it with the new rack settings.

--
Ben Bromhead
CTO | Instaclustr <https://www.instaclustr.com/>