Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Goran Oberg <go...@dc.luth.se> on 1998/09/23 19:03:36 UTC

Re: Apache 1.3.2 Released

> Apache 1.3.2 Released
> =====================

> Please see the CHANGES_1.3 file in the same directory for a full
> list of changes.  The distribution is also available via any of
> the mirrors listed at
>
>     http://www.apache.org/mirrors/

Hi all,

I think the .htaccess file in the /dist/-directory might cause some
trouble around the world.

I got several reports today from users, eager to get their hands
on the newly released 1.3.2, that they couldn't access
<URL:http://apache.dc.luth.se/dist/>.

The problem was that there were directives in the .htacces-file that my
somewhat dated apache didn't grok. I have been in the process of
stepping up to 1.3.2 and new releases of mysql and php the last couple
of days. The problem went away, of course, when I completed the upgrade
earlier today.

However, I ran a quick scan of the different HTTP-mirrors listed at
<URL:http://www.apache.org/mirrors/> and found that out of 84 mirrors
only 29 (about a third) were able to give a listing of the
dist-directory.

Here's a list of the different apache-versions used at different places:
<URL:http://www.luth.se/~goggi/proj/apache/mirror/versions.txt>

I don't know if someone in the apache team would like to contact the
mirror-administrators and explain wats need to be done or if this
heads-up is sufficient (if this mail reaches all on mirrors@apache.org,
that is).

Alternatively, the .htaccess-files could be made less version-dependent
to enable the mirrors to work properly. I'm not sure on how this should
be done though. It will have to be a trade-off between functionality and
backward compability.

If someone wants to do their own filtering, here's the raw data from my
lwp-request loop over the mirror-sites: <URL:http://www.luth.se/~goggi/
proj/apache/mirror/rawdata.txt>

Wkr

/G

--
 Göran Öberg <go...@dc.luth.se>        <URL:http://www.luth.se/~goggi/>
 Computer Support Center                       Adm./CoAdm. of

Re: rsync

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, april levin wrote:
> At 02:16 AM 9/26/98 , you wrote:
> >I have the exact opposite experience. How do you mirror using rsync?
> >You are not using the "-c", right? It will slow things down.
>
> I've been using this (which, coincidentally is exactly the same as the one
> in apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html):
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -rtvz --delete --exclude incoming
> dev.apache.org::apache-site /tmp/www.apache.org

I can't think of a reason why rsync would be slower than FTP mirroring,
especially that part about it taking all day, expecially since you're on a
cable modem too.  Weird.

	Brian

Re: rsync

Posted by april levin <ap...@raver.net>.
At 02:16 AM 9/26/98 , you wrote:
>I have the exact opposite experience. How do you mirror using rsync?
>You are not using the "-c", right? It will slow things down.

I've been using this (which, coincidentally is exactly the same as the one
in apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html):

/usr/local/bin/rsync -rtvz --delete --exclude incoming
dev.apache.org::apache-si
te /tmp/www.apache.org

thanks,
.april

rsync

Posted by april levin <ap...@raver.net>.
I've noticed a marked slowness in transfer rates after switching to rsync
(from ftp) for mirroring purposes.

Our script (which runs the rsync line taken from the mirroring page at
apache.org and then does some minor local adjustments such as moving things
from tmp to the ftp area, etc.) begins to run at around 3:30/4am and often
does not finish until late afternoon.

using ftp under these same circumstances (time, script, etc.) was much
quicker and took under an hour or two.

i recall some mention of disallowing ftp for mirroring. this is a concern
of mine as i feel as though rsync may be causing more bandwidth usage
problems (given that it is running during business hours/busier traffic
hours) than it is worth.

i would appreciate some thoughts on this.
has anyone else expressed any feelings corroberating my above statements?

thanks much,
.april

Re: Apache 1.3.2 Released

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
Oops, Ken went and re-added it 'coz I updated the server on apache.org,
forgetting that most mirrors are probably not still running it.  I've now
fixed that.

	Brian

Where will YOU be Oct 14-16?                   |     brian@apache.org
ApacheCon '98!   http://www.apachecon.com/     |  brian@hyperreal.org