Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/01 17:29:50 UTC

Re: Error converting jpg to pdf

Do we really need to sign a PDF?

Would there be a better way to collect the data that we need?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> On Feb 1, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For me, the reason to collect PII and sign the PDF is to convince ourselves independent of anyone else that there is a real human being on the other end of that keyboard. With legal rights that can be granted to Apache.

Umm, neither is sufficient (that's what notaries are for), nor is that the purpose.

The purpose of the ICLA is to provide a paper trail that would convince a mean lawyer
not to send a subpoena to each and every contributor. We don't need real signatures
because the license is not a copyright assignment.

All we really need is a self-created account with a self-supplied form answer stating
that the account user agrees to the ICLA, after which that account can be given
write access to one or more repositories. It does not need to be any more
paper-like than what Google uses for YouTube, what Amazon uses for AWS, etc.

....Roy

Re: Error converting jpg to pdf

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
For me, the reason to collect PII and sign the PDF is to convince ourselves independent of anyone else that there is a real human being on the other end of that keyboard. With legal rights that can be granted to Apache.

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 9:29 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Do we really need to sign a PDF?
>
> Would there be a better way to collect the data that we need?

Technically, the only "data we need" is an email address. But I don't think that our focus should be on "data we need".

Craig

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 02:51, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think that's a great idea. Back when I trialed DocuSign, they had a
>> feature for online form filling from a PDF you upload. I wonder if
>> there's a way we can integrate more easily with form filling apps like
>> that.
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 16:56, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems to me that we could improve the CLA submitting page to explain how to sign the .pdf.
>>>
>>> On my Mac, I can save the icla.pdf from Safari, open it with Preview, fill the form with the keyboard and then apply a signature to the form via Tools/Annotate/Signature, "save as" myicla.pdf and send it off as an attachment to an email.
>>>
>>> Most of the received .jpg files are printed and then scanned with a phone.
>>>
>>> But modern phones also allow you to download the icla.pdf and fill the form, including to add a signature. You can then share it to mail and send it off.
>>>
>>> I've just tested this on the live site. The first attempt used Google Chrome to navigate to the icla.pdf, opened with Adobe Acrobat, filled the form (only one field as an exaple), signed it with a pretty good signature, and then shared a link to a document in the cloud which is not acceptable. The second attempt shared a copy of the document which was attached to an email message. The second attempt can produce an acceptable iclaxxx.pdf suitable for filing.
>>>
>>> So I think we should be able to document a few good ways to get a signed ICLA without printing or scanning.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Craig

>>> Craig L Russell
>>> clr@apache.org