Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Rick McCloskey <ri...@lpl.arizona.edu> on 2001/08/08 00:31:57 UTC

Apache and/or Embperl Problem?

Hi Ya,

This query may be better suited for the Apache news group, but perhaps
someone here can help me.

When running the embperl tests and/or when trying to run an embperl
application with Apache the following error message was outputted:

httpd: module "" is not compatible with this version of Apache.
Please contact the vendor for the correct version.

Perhaps trouble shooting this would be easier if the name of the module
was not blank, but since it is, I'm baffled as to where to go from here.

The versions of the software we are using are:

apache_1.3.20
mod_perl-1.25
HTML-Embperl-1.3.3

The hardware is HP 9000/898 system running under HP-UX 11.0.  The HP
system is up to date as far as patches, etc. are concerned.  All
software was build using the HP ANSI C compiler not gcc.  That compiler
was recommended in the Perl install readme, so we standardized on it.

The mod_perl tests ran producing no errors.

Rick

BTW the following additions to the httpd.conf file were made:

SetEnv EMBPERL_DEBUG 2277

<Files *.epl>
  SetHandler  perl-script
  PerlHandler HTML::Embperl
  Options     ExecCGI
</files>

#PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_CLASSES "File Semaphore"
#PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_ARGS "Directory = /opt/apache/sessions"

AddType text/html .epl

Re: Apache and/or Embperl Problem?

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Thank you for your suggestion.  I retrieved the 1.3.1 version and built
> it.  Oddly enough when running the tests it failed on three tests that
> passed with version 1.3.3.  The following tests failed under 1.3.1.
>
> includeerr1.htm
> includeerr2.htm
> and opmask/opmasktrap.htm
>
> So I commented the entries out in the test.pl file and reran the test
> and everything passed.
>
> I could not figure out why the above tests would fail under 1.3.1 and
> pass under 1.3.3, but there may be some small differences I am not aware
> of.

There is simply a change in the text of the error message in newer Perl
versions, that make test of 1.3.1 isn't not aware. So it is safe to install
1.3.1, because these test errors are actualy errors of make test and not
Embperl itself.

>  Trying to rerun the test under 1.3.3 produced the initial errors
> that started this thread:
>
> Starting httpd...       httpd: module "" is not compatible with this
> version of
> Apache.

The only explanation I have for this is, that Embperl is compiled with other
header header files then Apache or that something with the moduleversions is
very different on HPUX. As workaround you can comment out the line 1381 in
epmain.c

 ap_add_module (&embperl_module) ;

then it should also work with 1.3.3

Gerald

Re: Apache and/or Embperl Problem?

Posted by Rick McCloskey <ri...@lpl.arizona.edu>.
Gerald,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I retrieved the 1.3.1 version and built
it.  Oddly enough when running the tests it failed on three tests that
passed with version 1.3.3.  The following tests failed under 1.3.1.

includeerr1.htm
includeerr2.htm
and opmask/opmasktrap.htm

So I commented the entries out in the test.pl file and reran the test
and everything passed.

I could not figure out why the above tests would fail under 1.3.1 and
pass under 1.3.3, but there may be some small differences I am not aware
of.  Trying to rerun the test under 1.3.3 produced the initial errors
that started this thread:

Starting httpd...       httpd: module "" is not compatible with this
version of
Apache.

Do you think it would make sense to install the 1.3.1 version, or should
I try to figure out the test errors first?  The error message produced
for the includeerr1/2 are:

#60 includeerr1.htm...
Error in Line 5
Is:     >[10538]ERR: 24: Line 10: Error in Perl code: Can't locate
object method
 &quot;is&quot; via package &quot;here&quot; (perhaps you forgot to load
&quot;h
ere&quot;?) at test/html/includeerr1.htm line 10.<p><
Should: >\[.*?\]ERR\: 24\: Line \d+\: Error in Perl code: Can't locate
object me
thod# &quot;is&quot; via package &quot;here&quot; at .*?includeerr1.htm
line 10<
Input:          test/html/includeerr1.htm
Output:         test/tmp/out.htm
Compared to:    test/cmp/includeerr1.htm
Log:            test/tmp/test.log
Testparameter:
  errors = 1

 ERRORS detected! NOT all test have been passed successfully

Let me say one more thing.  I am doing this on an HP platform and it has
been my experience that building anything on an HP requires much more
tweaking and hand holding than it does on a Linux or Sun platform.

Once again thank you for the software and the help.

Best Regards,
Rick

Gerald Richter wrote:

> > httpd: module "" is not compatible with this version of Apache.
> > Please contact the vendor for the correct version.
> >

> This maybe Embperl related. Could you try if Embperl 1.3.1 works without
> this error message ?
>
> There is some initialization stuff that is new in 1.3.2, which may cause
> such a message. Also I don't know why this should happen. If the message
> went away with 1.3.1, please retry with 1.3.3 with a fresh directory and
> make sure you are using the same apache source tree as you used to build
> apache. If this doesn't help we have to try to track this down further...
>
> Please let know what will happen
>
> Gerald

> Gerald Richter    ecos electronic communication services gmbh
> Internetconnect * Webserver/-design/-datenbanken * Consulting
>
> Post:       Tulpenstrasse 5         D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
> E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925131
> WWW:        http://www.ecos.de      Fax:      +49 6133 925152

Rick McCloskey
VIMS Data Systems Engineer