Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bob <bo...@audisport.com> on 2004/08/30 17:28:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Trouble starting apache

Hi all. Im having an issue starting apache on my sun solaris 7 server.
Install went OK it seems but Im getting an error in the logs. when I
./apachectl start it seems to do it without giving me an error on the
console, but the server doesnt actually start. Checking the logs reveals:

[notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication...
[crit] (2) no such file or directory; Digest: drror generating secret:
no such file or directory
Configuration Failed

Any ideas where things are going bad?
Thanks!
Bob

Re: [users@httpd] Trouble starting apache

Posted by Bob <bo...@audisport.com>.
Thanks Thomas, great idea.
Being an apache semi-newbie, I assume I take that out of httpd.conf?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
[Please post in plain text.]

> [Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable to set g
> roup id to Group 4294967295

Set the Group directive in httpd.conf to a valid group for your system.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Trouble starting apache

Posted by Bob <bo...@audisport.com>.
Thank guys.  I found    LoadModule auth_digest_module
modules/mod_auth_digest.so    and commented it out, when I start it now,
I get:

Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [warn] pid file
/usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid ove
rwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable
to set g
roup id to Group 4294967295
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable
to set g
roup id to Group 4294967295
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable
to set g
roup id to Group 4294967295
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable
to set g
roup id to Group 4294967295
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable
to set g
roup id to Group 4294967295
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.50 (Unix) DAV/2
configured -- res
uming normal operations
[Mon Aug 30 12:57:29 2004] [alert] Child 2162 returned a Fatal
error...\nApache
is exiting!

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.