Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Boyer <da...@bvu.edu> on 2003/01/10 18:29:50 UTC

OT: what source code control system?

We have a staff of 8-10 student employees and a couple full time staffers
that write desktop and web applications or their supporting components.
We're mostly using Visual Basic and MS Access for desktop apps and ASP (on
IIS 5.0) for web apps, but I'm nudging everyone toward Tomcat/Java.

I'd like to implement a source code control system that includes a
browser-based interface (preferably JSP/Servlet). Cost is an issue, so I'm
looking at the open source or other free options. The server components
would be running on a Windows 2000 Server platform, but I'm interested in
having the flexibility to integrate with any web and database server so as
not to be chained to a given platform (hence the preference for using JSP).

Any recommendations? Thanks!

RE: what source code control system?

Posted by srinath narasimhan <sr...@nuviewinc.com>.

Use CVS -- www.cvshome.org. It has a web interface as well.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> The only was I would consider SourceSafe over CVS
> is if you have money to burn, are windows only, ...

In my case, I have licenses for SourceSafe from before OneTree was acquired
by Microsoft.  It really is a nice revision control system.  In any event, I
did mention cost as one factor for why he likely couldn't use it.  Same
would be even more true of Clearcase.

CVS isn't used because it is great; it is used because heretofore it has
been the best of a bad selection of open source revision control packages.

I'm very hopeful that Subversion will not only eliminate CVS, but also offer
many of the benefits that SourceSafe and other commercial systems offer for
exorbitant fees.

	--- Noel

Re: what source code control system?

Posted by Richard Dunn <ri...@arkona.com>.
I have used both SourceSafe, CVS (as well as PVCS and Continuus) and I would
easily pick CVS over SourceSafe and PVCS. Continuus is fine if you have big
$$$ and a very capable Continuus administrator. The only was I would consider
SourceSafe over CVS is if you have money to burn, are windows only, and have
an IDE that you just feel you *must* have that only works with SourceSafe. If
so, SourceSafe is great.

Re: [ OT ] what source code control system?

Posted by Jon Eaves <jo...@eaves.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Despite the fact that it is widely used, the list of problems with CVS is
> long and distinguished.

I'll disagree here. CVS is missing some features that other people
find very desirable in a source control system. This doesn't mean it
has a long list of problems.

The only thing that I'd consider a "problem" with CVS is the lack
of an atomic commit. Having said that, I've been using it for over
10 years, nearly always in client-server mode or remotely tunnelling
over SSH and I have _never_ had a problem.

> Since you can't use SourceSafe, I would recommend
> that you look at Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org).  Subversion is
> self-hosting, works with database and apache, has an API, and there is a GUI
> interface (http://rapidsvn.tigris.org).
>
> Subversion uses WebDAV, and there is even a Wiki using Subversion.
>
> If you were in a corporate environment, perhaps Subversion might not be
> ready for you (but then again, you could afford SourceSafe), but in your
> environment you might like the possibilities in Subversion.  There is always
> CVS if you need it, and don't mind the problems (like the inability to
> rename something).

Renaming things is trivial, just get the administrator to rename it
for you.  mv $CVSROOT/src/foo.java,v $CVSROOT/src/bar.java,v. Or if
you don't care about losing your log history, then just delete and
add it.

Sure, it's not the most user friendly approach, but it can be done.

I'm a big, big fan of CVS, it's very stable and it's been used in
technical teams and I've also taught graphic designers to use it.
Throughout that time, I've never had an issue with files being
corrupted, magically deleted or anything else.

Cheers,
	-- jon

--
Jon Eaves <jo...@eaves.org>