Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Richard Rose <ri...@lucasvarity.com> on 1998/10/26 17:29:30 UTC

os-windows/3293: Perl 5.005_02 will not run under Apache 1.3.3 win 95

>Number:         3293
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Perl 5.005_02 will not run under Apache 1.3.3 win 95
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
*I have a problem getting Perl to work on
* Apache /1.3.3 (win 32) on a windows 95 OSR2 PC
* Reading throught the various problem reports
* it appears that the problem has appeared and been
* solved in various other versions, but I am unable to
* make the solutions work.

* This is the configuration I have

*Apache initially instaled in default directory, following prompts
* "It worked!" screen appears OK.

*Active State Perl installed in default directories.
*Confirmation of Perl installation by typing perl-v
* at the c: prompt, returns the following:

This is perl, version 5.005_02 built for MSWin32-x86-object
Copyright 1987-1998, Larry Wall
Binary build 502 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built 10:59:41 Aug 11 1998

* Perl executable in the following directory:
C:\PERL\5.00464\bin\MSWin32-x86\perl.exe

*Testing by other command line perl programs, seems to run OK.

*Followed instructions as per PR 3104. Checked all the directory names appear
*in quotes as per other PRs
*New directories created:

c:\www\cgi-bin
c:\www\htdocs

* (contents & subsequent sub-directories in htdocs
   copied from original location)
* Original directories re-named to ensure server cannot pick up
* on those directories by accident (i.e. if I've not changed a conf
* line I should have, the original directory no longer exists)

*The following lines in the srm.conf file changed:

DocumentRoot "C:/www/htdocs"

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/www/cgi-bin/"

# To use CGI scripts:
AddHandler cgi-script .pl

*The following lines in access.conf changed:

<Directory "C:/www/htdocs">

<Directory "C:/www/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

*The following line in httpd.conf changed:

ServerName 149.223.207.022

*The following perl script created and stored
*as c:\www\cgi-bin\hello.pl:

#!C:\PERL\5.00464\bin\MSWin32-x86\perl.exe
print "Content-type: text/plain\n\nHello World!\n";

*Running from the command line prints Hello World! as expected
*The PC Apache runs on has an IP address, so the "IT WORKED"
*page is accessed as: http://149.223.207.22/
*This works OK,therefore the perl script was accessed as:

http://149.223.207.22/cgi-bin/hello.pl

*This returned the following text in the browser:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator,
you@your.address and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

couldn't spawn child process: c:/www/cgi-bin/hello.pl

*And the following entry in the error log:
*(I have split the line up)

[Mon Oct 26 14:24:56 1998] [error]
[client 149.223.207.22] (2)No such file or directory:
couldn't spawn child process: c:/www/cgi-bin/hello.pl

*Any suggestions? I have gone through the FAQ, and the bug reports, but I do
*not have newsgroup access, so Iapologise if the answer is out there
*and I can't access it. If this is something so blindingly obvious that I can't see
* for looking at trhe detail, then I also apologise.

*RIchard Rose
>How-To-Repeat:
This server is running on a standaone laptop, so there is no access to it from outside. (It's only purpose is to test out CGI scripts prior to loading on the real server)
>Fix:
I have tried including or omiting the trailing slash from directory names, as the
documentation seems to sometimes include them and sometimes not. It
does not appear to make a difference.
I could try building an earlier version of Perl, but I'd prefer to use the same one
as the main server.