Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Earl Hood <ea...@earlhood.com> on 2013/10/08 04:03:32 UTC

Performance/scoring impacts with multiple occurrences of a field

Using Lucene 3.

I know Lucene supports multiple occurrences of a field, and if one
searches on that field, all fields are checked for hits.  One question I
have is if there is a performance difference between if all the data I
want to index is represented by a single field vs multiple fields of the
same name?

The other question is if scoring of results differ between the use of a
single field vs multiple fields of the same name?

For results ranking, I am guessing there is an effect based on
<https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#How_can_I_search_over_multiple_fields.3F>
and
<https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#Does_the_position_of_the_matches_in_the_text_affect_the_scoring.3F>
But I am not sure if this only applicable for cases of different fields
names vs fields of the same name.

--ewh

Re: Performance/scoring impacts with multiple occurrences of a field

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
With multiple fields of the same name vs a single field I doubt you'd
be able to tell the difference in performance or matching or scoring
in normal use.  There may be some matching/ranking effect if you are
looking at, say, span queries across the multiple fields.

Try it out and see what happens.

--
Ian.