Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David W Smith <dw...@well.ox.ac.uk> on 2003/06/05 20:00:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2 / content negotiation ('None could be negotiated')

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Apache 2 (Apache/2.0.46 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_09
Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.0.46 OpenSSL/0.9.7b PHP/4.3.2) running on a Solaris
8 box. I have content negotiation implemented with the MultiViews
facility. The httpd.conf has the following:

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNOEXEC

DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.htm index.php

AddType text/html .shtml .html (for server-side includes)

What's bothering me is that in the error_log there is a virtually constant
stream of

'Negotiation: discovered file(s) matching request: /*/index.shtml
(None could be negotiated)., referer: [a url will be found here]

messages (*the DocumentRoot path sits here); some arrive without the
'refer' section.

These messages do not seem to be a showstopper but are very rapidly
filling up the error_log and making it rather 'noisy'.

I tried with a MultiviewsMatch directive but that made no difference (bit
clutching at straws here!).

If anyone has any idea to why these messages are so persistent and/or how
to get them to go away I'd be appreciative.

I've searched the internet and the Apache archives without a great deal of
success.

Thank you for any help.

David Smith