Posted to architecture@airavata.apache.org by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/14 16:25:46 UTC

Experiment Summary retrieval

Hi all,

Almost all gateways have a requirement of retrieving the experiment
summaries of all the experiments . The fields that are required  differ
based on the gateway.

For Example:
CIPRES requires : Experiment name and status
Some gateways requires the Experiment name with the inputs only.

But right now the getAllExperiments() method returns the list of all the
Experiments with all the experiment related attributes filled ( the whole
Experiment Model).

It's costly to get the whole Experiment objects from the API rather than
getting the required few attributes.

Any suggestions on how we could achieve this?

One suggestion would be to have a getAllExperiments method with the
parameters as a list of required fields of the Experiments and return only
those fields.

Sachith Withana

Re: Experiment Summary retrieval

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I think this is a good idea, from airavata point of view, it sounds like a
good idea to hand over the static data to some other party (static data is
the data generated during a job submission and monitoring, which is not
goingt o change). Airavata shouldn't get burdened with those provenance
type of data. For airavata's runtime we only need these data, until the job
get completed.

Based on the usecase of the science gateway, they can arrange their data
and make the data retrieval process more reliable. My idea is airavata
server or runtime should not get burden with provenance data, if Airavata
needs this feature we might have to separate it from Airavata runtime (I
mean job submission and monitoring).

Regards
Lahiru

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab

Re: Experiment Summary retrieval

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.
Yes, any vncviewer should work - realvnc, tightvnc, tigervnc, chicken of the vnc (mac),
and there are others. All of them should be free. To test it out, please try to connect
to the login screen:

vncviewer alamo.uthscsa.edu:1
password: SciGap

-b.

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.
GH doesn't support Slackware Linux - already checked it out.

-b.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Borries,

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.
Marlon,

Posted by "Miller, Mark" <mm...@sdsc.edu>.

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.
Mark, Lahiru and others:

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Almost all gateways have a requirement of retrieving the experiment
> summaries of all the experiments . The fields that are required  differ
> based on the gateway.
>
> For Example:
> CIPRES requires : Experiment name and status
> Some gateways requires the Experiment name with the inputs only.
>
> But right now the getAllExperiments() method returns the list of all the
> Experiments with all the experiment related attributes filled ( the whole
> Experiment Model).
>
> It's costly to get the whole Experiment objects from the API rather than
> getting the required few attributes.
>
> Any suggestions on how we could achieve this?
>
> One suggestion would be to have a getAllExperiments method with the
> parameters as a list of required fields of the Experiments and return only
> those fields.

+1, We should make the on-demand and unless number of experiments are very
low there's no way a gateway want to get all the experiments in one go. So
we should tell if experiment number is high api should allow to get few at
a time.

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab