Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/20 17:10:56 UTC

4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Components which have an "element" parameter (If, For, etc.).

Perhaps we should code it as:

  if the component's tag is "span", honor the element parameter,
  else honor the component's actual tag

So:

<fieldset jwcid="author@If" element="fieldset" condition="ognl:book.name">

could be replaced with

<fieldset jwcid="author@If" condition="ognl:book.name">

To the same result.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> Components which have an "element" parameter (If, For, etc.).
>
> Perhaps we should code it as:
>
>  if the component's tag is "span", honor the element parameter,
>  else honor the component's actual tag
>
> So:
>
> <fieldset jwcid="author@If" element="fieldset"
> condition="ognl:book.name">
>
> could be replaced with
>
> <fieldset jwcid="author@If" condition="ognl:book.name">
I also like making use of the tag name...

For instance in tacos, you can have:
autocompleter and
<textarea jwcid="@tacos:Autocompleter"/> for a textarea autocompleter.

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Oh ...right. Duh...Sorry, I was having a brain fart and thinking about other
problems. I guess this is what Howard said originally..Sounds good to me :)

On 9/20/06, Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se> wrote:

> Instead of a "disableElement" parameter, you could disable it for <span>
> elements unless they have the "element" parameter set.
>
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:24:11 +0200, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I like this idea. I guess that would mean we'd still have to offer some
> > flexibility by having a "disableElement" or similar parameter that means
> > "don't output the element tag at all" ?
> >
> > I haven't needed to add it yet but I predict that I'm going to need to
> > finally add in the ability to insert / remove content into different
> > portions of the page for some things.
> >
> > Of course, leaving a fieldset div visible may have unpredictable UI
> results
> > if people are using css styling rules on them..I could always "detect"
> if
> > something is involved in a potential ajax update and still render it
> with a
> > style display of "display:none" but this starts to feel a little too
> heavy
> > handed.
> >
> > On 9/20/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Components which have an "element" parameter (If, For, etc.).
> >>
> >> Perhaps we should code it as:
> >>
> >>   if the component's tag is "span", honor the element parameter,
> >>   else honor the component's actual tag
> >>
> >> So:
> >>
> >> <fieldset jwcid="author@If" element="fieldset" condition="ognl:
> book.name">
> >>
> >> could be replaced with
> >>
> >> <fieldset jwcid="author@If" condition="ognl:book.name">
> >>
> >> To the same result.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >> TWD Consulting, Inc.
> >> Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> >> Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
> >> Creator, Apache HiveMind
> >>
> >> Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> >> and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
As in back back? :)

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se>.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I'd love to hear more feedback on this. I think we all understand the issues
involved in being able to update a dom element dynamically if it doesn't
already exist...There are possibilities of doing an "insert" into the dom as
well. ..Anymore thoughts?

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
duh, just noticed I'm saying exactly what Paul said a long time ago.

-Ryan

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
My usage of If/Else and For in a fairly large Tapestry app mirrors
yours: it comes down to about 50/50 (except with For's which I
usually want to render the tag I'm using in the template).

The only problem I have with the original suggestion is that I don't
think spans should be treated differently than divs. My non-rendering
If and Else components use divs when necessary to keep the template
well-formed, which is fairly often. btw, I'm not pushing valid HTML
templates here, just talking about well-formed templates that don't
cause, for instance, a WTP HTML validation error.

To put it another way, it seems awkward to treat span and div
differently since they are both generic container elements. When I'm
wrapping, say, a form component in a non-rendering If, I'm going to
use a div because it's required to maintain a well-formed template --
not because I want a rendering vs a non-rendering If.

So how about this:

1) renderTag defaults to false for spans and divs.
2) renderTag defaults to true for any other tag.
3) The renderTags config parameter goes away.
4) The element parameter is always honored, regardless of the
template tag (this is the current behavior).
5) These rules apply equally to If, Else and For.

I think these rules would provide the convenience Howard intended
with a minimal loss of backwards compatibility. Unless I'm missing
something, only somewhat bizarre (and hopefully rare) templates would
break in 4.1. So the following in a 4.0 template:

would now render a td tag and likely break the page. However, an
obvious response to a complaint about this behavior would be " please
take this opportunity to clean up your template" ;)

So at this point I guess I'm simply echoing Howard's original
suggestion with the caveat that span and div tags should both be non-
rendering by default. Is there a good reason for treating divs
differently?

I originally didn't like the idea of treating any HTML tags as
"magical". After thinking about this a little bit though, I have to
agree with Andy's point that the new behavior will often simply shift
the problem from having to explicitly specify an element to having to
explicitly turn off element rendering.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.1: Suggestion for If, etc.

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.

<hl...@gmail.com> said:
> Components which have an "element" parameter (If, For, etc.).
>
> Perhaps we should code it as:
>
>   if the component's tag is "span", honor the element parameter,
>   else honor the component's actual tag
>
> So:
>
> <fieldset jwcid="author@If" element="fieldset"
> condition="ognl:book.name">