Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2006/02/10 17:16:42 UTC

[all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

I just added "Compile-Source-JDK"  and "Compile-Target-JDK" attributes to
the validator jar's manifest file (the manifest spec says unknown attributes
are ignored) to show the setting of  maven's "maven.compile.source" and
"maven.compile.target" attributes which the jar was created with.

I think its a good idea to give people "comfort" over the JDK version used
to build a release. If no-one objects I will modify the rest of the commons
components to do the same.

Niall

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/12/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> sounds like a good idea :)
>
> any chance of adding a few words to the release documentation?

I added three references to it

Two of them are here (the other earlier in the "Check Class File
Format" section):

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html#checkjarmanifest
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html#classfileformat

Niall

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 2/10/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/10/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I just added "Compile-Source-JDK"  and "Compile-Target-JDK" attributes
> > > the validator jar's manifest file (the manifest spec says unknown
> attributes
> > > are ignored) to show the setting of  maven's "maven.compile.source"
> and
> > > "maven.compile.target" attributes which the jar was created with.
> > >
> > > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376748&view=rev
> > >
> > > I think its a good idea to give people "comfort" over the JDK version
> used
> > > to build a release. If no-one objects I will modify the rest of the
> commons
> > > components to do the same.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully everyone follows the spec and
> > doesn't have a tizzy when things turn up in the manifest :)
> >
> > So the term 'Compile-Source-JDK' is just something you've made up
> > right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > There's no standard out there?
>
> Don't know of any.

The only convention I have seen is for "non-standard" headers to be prefixed
with "X-" to emphasize the fact that they are made-up things (and also to
avoid any possibility of a clash with a later standardized name).  So,
perhaps using "X-Compile-Source-JDK" an "X-Compile-Target-JDK" might be
better.

Niall

> > Hen

Craig

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I just added "Compile-Source-JDK"  and "Compile-Target-JDK" attributes to
> the validator jar's manifest file (the manifest spec says unknown attributes
> are ignored) to show the setting of  maven's "maven.compile.source" and
> "maven.compile.target" attributes which the jar was created with.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376748&view=rev
>
> I think its a good idea to give people "comfort" over the JDK version used
> to build a release. If no-one objects I will modify the rest of the commons
> components to do the same.

Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully everyone follows the spec and
doesn't have a tizzy when things turn up in the manifest :)

So the term 'Compile-Source-JDK' is just something you've made up
right? There's no standard out there?

Hen

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Which part of the email build was failing?
>
> Sorry failing was too strong - it was trying to download javamail and
> jaf and couldn't find them - so a config issue on my part (I assume
> theres a repository I could point to to get them or configure it
> locally?). As I was doing 30-40 components I just switly moved on to
> the next :-(

There's no repository available as Sun BCL forbids distribution in
this way. So it's download and place appropriately yourself
unfortunately :-(

"If I close my eyes it doesn't seem so dark." - SpongeBob SquarePants

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Instructions for configuring/installing these can be found here:
http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/reference/standard-sun-jar-names.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > However Java 1.2 and 1.3 don't run on OS X; and most Commons
> > components target those JVMs - and I thought Maven doesn't run on
> > those JVMs either.
>
> Run != target, but you'd still need them installed and all the
> appropriate fork/path settings set. Which we've been over more than once
> here :)
>
> I thought the agreement was to compile with the latest, but -target 1.3,
> and verify that there are no binary incompatibilities with earlier rt.jar's?

Entirely possible; I'm picking all this up again and probably have a
head full of confused memories and/or outdated decisions.

Hen

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> However Java 1.2 and 1.3 don't run on OS X; and most Commons
> components target those JVMs - and I thought Maven doesn't run on
> those JVMs either.

Run != target, but you'd still need them installed and all the
appropriate fork/path settings set. Which we've been over more than once
here :)

I thought the agreement was to compile with the latest, but -target 1.3,
and verify that there are no binary incompatibilities with earlier rt.jar's?

- Brett (now wondering about a Clirr extension that detects binary
incompatibility with certain JVMs).

Re: [all] Compile-Source-JDK and Compile-Target-JDK

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You only changed things for the Maven builds, right?  The nightlies
> > (which
> > > use Ant) won't reflect this.  (For the record, the Commons nightlies are
> > > compiled with JDK 1.4.2).
> >
> > Yes. I assume that most components are using maven for creating
> > releases. Is it an issue that they don't - or would there be an issue
> > if they did?
>

> It would be an issue if they did *not* use Maven ... the Ant build does not
> add these two attributes to the manifest.  I suspect you are correct,
> though, about most people using Maven for release builds ... but we should
> probably say something to that effect in the packaging instructions.

I can do that - packaging instructions that is (ant builds would be
more effort than the quick maven cut and paste). I assume you mean the
"release guidelines" pages on commons:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/index.html

If it was somewhere else you were thinking of then let me know.

Niall

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Wendy,
>
> Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > This is not foolproof-- it's still possible to compile the project
> > without that configuration, but someone should eventually notice the
> > expressions showing up in the manifest and fix it.  Or Brett will
> > chime in with the right answer. :)
>
> This is the correct answer. As always, thanks for your help :)
>
> Future versions of Maven plan to provide a better way to share plugin
> configuration.

Thats good its on the cards, thanks for your input,

Niall

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Wendy,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
> On 2/13/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also exec and openpgp only have maven2 build files. I downloaded
> > maven2 and got as far as working out how to add manifest entries - but
> > I couldn't work out how to refernece the compile plugin configuration
> > - so I've left the JDK bits commented out in the sandbox's pom.xml:
> >
> >    http://tinyurl.com/737qc
> >

> I don't know how to get at the compiler config directly, but this
> seems to work.  Uncomment your lines in trunks-sandbox/pom.xml, and in
> trunks-sandbox/exec/pom.xml:
>
> <build>
>    <plugins>
>      <plugin>
>        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>        <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>        <configuration>
>          <source>${maven.compile.source}</source>
>          <target>${maven.compile.target}</target>
>        </configuration>
>      </plugin>
>    </plugins>
>  </build>
>  <properties>
>      <maven.compile.source>1.3</maven.compile.source>
>      <maven.compile.target>1.3</maven.compile.target>
>  </properties>
>
> This is not foolproof-- it's still possible to compile the project
> without that configuration, but someone should eventually notice the
> expressions showing up in the manifest and fix it.  Or Brett will
> chime in with the right answer. :)

Thanks Wendy. I guess the trick is not to put the properties with
default values in the parent pom - that way what gets put in the
manifest is either true or not there (unless a component configures
the properties AND overrides the comiler configuration),

> BTW, the tests for exec won't run for me; I used
> -Dmaven.test.skip=true to build the jar so I could look at the
> manifest.

Thats what I did too,

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.