Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Ma...@ihs.de on 2005/12/28 10:57:12 UTC

New Forrest Example

Dear Forrest Team,

first of all thank you for providing Forrest. I think it is already
extremely helpful to speed up the maintenance of dynamically changing Web
sites.

You may take our site into your list of examples:

This site may be an example for a multi language application
(English/German).

One side remark: even if it is relatively easy and straight forward to
write a multi language application in Forrest, the whole i18n approach is
quite static.
A good language model should support links between different language
versions of the same side. Example: you may have certain content available
only in English. But you want to refer to that content from the German
site.

Could the new view concept of version 0.8 solve that issue?

Matthias

Re: New Forrest Example

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Matthias.Gutbier wrote:
> Dear Forrest Team,
>
> first of all thank you for providing Forrest. I think it is already
> extremely helpful to speed up the maintenance of dynamically changing Web
> sites.
>
> You may take our site into your list of examples:

> This site may be an example for a multi language application
> (English/German).

Done. Thanks.

I just used the plain text from above.

Perhaps you would like to add the accents to
the artist's name. Do that by adding to your
local site-author/.../live-sites.xml
Then please provide a patch via the issue tracker
so that it doesn't get mangled.

-David

Re: New Forrest Example

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Matthias.Gutbier@ihs.de wrote:

> Dear Forrest Team,
>
> first of all thank you for providing Forrest. I think it is already
> extremely helpful to speed up the maintenance of dynamically changing
> Web sites.
>
> You may take our site into your list of examples:

I'm in a rush right now, so I've not added this yet. But I (or someone
else) wil get to it soon. Thanks,

The reason for my mail is I wondered if you would like to work with us
on the photo gallery plugin in our whiteboard? What this does is build
photo albums of all the photo's in directories (in your case of paintings).

At present the output is ugly and there is no meta data (i.e. the
descriptions you have on your site). But it does create index pages and
viewing pages, with next and previous buttons. With a little
collaboration we could turn it into something extremely useful for your
site. If you are interested then join us on the dev list (I have a use
case for this plugin in around three months time, so I can assure you of
my assistance if you want to try and improve this for your site).

There is an example of the ugly output at
http://www.gardler.org/ross_and_heidi/gallery/baby/index.html

> One side remark: even if it is relatively easy and straight forward to
> write a multi language application in Forrest, the whole i18n approach
> is quite static.

Yes, i18n is not well supported right now. See other recent threads. We
need people like yourself, who are actually using the i18n stuff to help
us improve it.

> A good language model should support links between different language
> versions of the same side. Example: you may have certain content
> available only in English. But you want to refer to that content from
> the German site.

As I understand it you can set a default language and if the file is not
available in the preferred language it will fall back to the default. If
this is correct then our existing support will do the above.

Ross