Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by gr...@virtual-worlds.biz on 2003/08/07 11:11:14 UTC

jsps xhtml and Internet Explorer

Hi there,
          anoyone know this one?

I have a jsp page written to the xhtml standard. It looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

    <!--
      - Author(s):
      - Date:
      - Copyright Notice:
      - @(#)
      -->
     <jsp:root  xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"
                xmlns:html="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld"
                xmlns:bean="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"
                xmlns:dt="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/datetime-1.0"
                xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"
                xmlns:fmt="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt"
                version="1.2">
    <head>
       [...]
    </head>
       [...]
</jsp:root>

All seems fine. The page compiles properly and looks nice on every browser I've
tried. Except Internet Explorer (v6), where it simply displays the XML source tree.

I tried adding:

 <mime-mapping>
    <extension>jsp</extension>
    <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
  </mime-mapping>

(and simlarly for xhtml) to the web.xml (both the webapp one and the global one).

I'm using tomcat 4.0.6 and java 1.4.1 (I can't easily upgrade these because this
is what my client use). I've had a search through the FAQs, this list's archive
and on Google and can't find the solution.

Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks,

Graham

Re: jsps xhtml and Internet Explorer

Posted by Graham Stark <gr...@virtual-worlds.biz>.
Bill,
     many thanks: that worked perfectly.
Graham

> MSIE has a bad habit of ignoring Content-Type, so I don't know that this
> will work.  However, what you want is:
>   <jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
>
> (of course, change the charset if you aren't using iso-latin-1).
>
> <gr...@virtual-worlds.biz> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >           anoyone know this one?
> >
> > I have a jsp page written to the xhtml standard. It looks like this:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> >
> >     <!--
> >       - Author(s):
> >       - Date:
> >       - Copyright Notice:
> >       - @(#)
> >       -->
> >      <jsp:root  xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"
> >                 xmlns:html="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld"
> >                 xmlns:bean="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"
> >                 xmlns:dt="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/datetime-1.0"
> >                 xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"
> >                 xmlns:fmt="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt"
> >                 version="1.2">
> >     <head>
> >        [...]
> >     </head>
> >        [...]
> > </jsp:root>
> >

> > All seems fine. The page compiles properly and looks nice on every browser
> I've
> > tried. Except Internet Explorer (v6), where it simply displays the XML
> source tree.
> >
> > I tried adding:
> >
> >  <mime-mapping>
> >     <extension>jsp</extension>
> >     <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
> >   </mime-mapping>
> >
> > (and simlarly for xhtml) to the web.xml (both the webapp one and the
> global one).
> >

> > I'm using tomcat 4.0.6 and java 1.4.1 (I can't easily upgrade these
> because this
> > is what my client use). I've had a search through the FAQs, this list's
> archive
> > and on Google and can't find the solution.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Graham

Graham Stark, Virtual Worlds
phone: (+044) 01908 618239 mobile: 07952 633185
Homepage http://www.virtual-worlds.biz
Virtual Learning Arcade http://www.bized.ac.uk/virtual/vla
Virtual Economy http://www.bized.ac.uk/virtual/economy

Re: jsps xhtml and Internet Explorer