Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Klerman <kl...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/07 05:38:29 UTC

NetBeans 12 and 4K monitor

Hello,
I recently changed to this Dell XPS 13 which has a high resolution monitor
and Ubuntu 20.04.
My settings are 3840X2160, 300%.
I installed NetBeans 12.0 and to my surprise, it's practically unusable in
this machine, as it's unable to adapt itself to these scales and the
resolutions.
I Googled for a solution, and the two I found all recommend to edit the
netbeans.conf file.
Using the locate command, I found two of these files in this system:
/home/me/.local/share/Trash/files/netbeans.conf
and
/snap/netbeans/30/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf
The file in the snap folder is readonly, and I can't find the way to make
it writable. The chmod command leaves it untouched.
The file in the home folder seems not to have any effect on NetBeans.
Could anyone please point me to the solution of this problem ?.
Many thanks in advance,
Klerman.

--

Klerman Gutierrez.
Cel. / Mov.: +58 414 5320193

Re: NetBeans 12 and 4K monitor

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Just do a:

mkdir $HOME/snap/netbeans/common/data/12.0/etc
cp /snap/netbeans/current/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf
$HOME/snap/netbeans/common/data/12.0/etc/

You would be able to customize the NetBeans config at:
$HOME/snap/netbeans/common/data/12.0/etc/netbeans.conf

Posted by Lister Jonathan <jo...@vaisala.com>.
Hi Klerman,
I have been happily using NetBeans with 4k displays for a few years now, albeit on physically large external monitors, not small laptop displays.

One of the tips that is often missed is to make sure that you are running NetBeans with a base JDK (netbeans_jdkhome) version > 8. JDK 9 brought support for HiDPI graphics, see https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/263

I am running NetBeans 11+ on JDK 13 with 2160 x 3840 (yes, portrait – actually two of those side by side) and scaled to +175%. With those settings I no longer need to change –fontSize in netbeans.conf

Hope this helps ;-)

Posted by Don <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
Not sure if this was mentioned but the following works for me.
GDK_SCALE=2 netbeans

Source: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2360

I tend to prefer lodpi on my XPS because of high battery consumption and
fan noise when on hidpi.

Posted by Darin Miller <da...@gmail.com>.
Klerman,

Have you attempted starting netbeans with --fontsize 20  (i.e.
/opt/netbeans/bin/netbeans --fontsize 20)?

 o__
  >/
( )\( ) Darin | 208-283-1574