Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Adam Holmberg <ad...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/13 22:31:32 UTC

Composite Column Query Modeling

I'm modeling a new application and considering the use of SuperColumn vs.
Composite Column paradigms. I understand that SuperColumns are discouraged
in new development, but I'm pondering a query where it seems like
SuperColumns might be better suited.

Consider a CF with SuperColumn layout as follows

t = {
  k1: {
    s1: { c1:v1, c2:v2 },
    s2: { c1:v3, c2:v4 },
    s3: { c1:v5, c2:v6}
  }
}

Which might be modeled in CQL3:

CREATE TABLE t (
  k text,
  s text,
  c1 text,
  c2 text,
  PRIMARY KEY (k, s)
);

I know that it is possible to do range slices with either approach.
However, with SuperColumns I can do sparse slice queries with a set (list)
of column names as the SlicePredicate. I understand that the composites API
only returns contiguous slices, but I keep finding myself wanting to do a
query as follows:

SELECT * FROM t WHERE k = 'foo' AND s IN (1,3);

The question: Is there a recommended technique for emulating sparse column
slices in composites?

One suggestion I've read is to get the entire range and filter client side.
This is pretty punishing if the range is large and the second keys being
queried are sparse. Additionally, there are enough keys being queried that
calling once per key is undesirable.

I also realize that I could manually composite k:s as the row key and use
multiget, but this gives away the benefit of having these records proximate
when range queries *are* used.

Any input on modeling/query techniques would be appreciated.

Regards,
Adam Holmberg

P.S./Sidebar:
--------------------
What this seems like to me is a desire for 'multiget' at the second key
level analogous to multiget at the row key level. Is this something that
could be implemented in the server using SlicePredicate.column_names? Is
this just an implementation gap, or is there something technical I'm
overlooking?

Re: Composite Column Query Modeling

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
>  I may be missing something, but it looks like you pass multiple keys but only a singular SlicePredicate
My bad.
I was probably thinking "multiple gets" but wrote multigets.

If Collections don't help maybe you need to support both query types using separate CF's. Or a secondary index for the s value.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
There is another trick here.  On the playOrm open source project, we need to do a sparse query for a join and so we send out 100 async requests and cache up the java "Future" objects and return the first needed result back without waiting for the others.  With the S-SQLin playOrm, we have the IN clause coming soon as well in which we will use the same technique so as you iterate over the 1, 3, 29, 56 rows, results may still be coming in as it only blocks if it gets to 3 and the result for 3 has not come back yet.

Anyways, just an option.  (ps. This option helps us query a 1,000,000 row partition in 60ms ;) and we still haven't added the lookahead cursors which should speed some systems up as well as it fetches stuff while you are working on the first batch of results)

Later,
Dean

Posted by Adam Holmberg <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.