Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Marek Zawadzki <mz...@mirantis.com> on 2016/01/07 10:09:52 UTC

Official Mesos/Marathon Docker images - please share your thoughts/plans

Hello all.

This is Marek Zawadzki from Mirantis Kolla Team - I've met Brenden
Matthews & Ben Lin at Mesosphere SF office this October.
We work on deploying OpenStack on Mesos/Marathon cluster using Kolla
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla> and we find Docker a great way
for quickly setting up our environment.
Could you please share your thoughts about Docker images for Mesos/Marathon?

TL; DR: the images that can be found on DockerHub are either out of date
or not working. We would like to know your plans about maintaining them.

You can find details in Michal Rostecki's (Kolla core reviewer) email below.

Thanks!

-marek

--
Marek Zawadzki
Mirantis Kolla Team

Posted by Michal Rostecki <mr...@mirantis.com>.
On 01/11/2016 08:07 PM, Michal Rostecki wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 05:13 AM, Dave Lester wrote:
>> Hi Marek,
>>
>> Great to hear that you're doing work to deploy OpenStack on Mesos! I'm
>> sure there are many others on the mailing list who would be
>> interested, so feel free to share more when you have the time. :)
>>

> To shortly sum it up.
>
> There is a Kolla project under the OpenStack umbrella which provides
> Dockerfiles for OpenStack services. You can see it here:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/kolla
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/
>
> By default, it's using Ansible for running these containers on the bare
> metal nodes.
>
> Now we're trying to run these containers on Mesos+Marathon(+Chronos) and
> we have another project for that:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/kolla
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla-mesos/
>
> This project uses Kolla dockerfiles and provides the two things:
> - application which pushes OpenStack configuration to ZooKeeper and runs
> Kolla containers via Marathon and Chronos API
> - extended start scripts which generates configuration for each
> OpenStack service from what's stored in ZooKeeper
>
> About the second point - there will be probably a long-term plan to
> teach OpenStack services to get configuration from ZooKeeper, without
> using any configuration files.
>
> The whole Kolla-mesos project is under development now, but of course
> any contribution is welcome.
>
>> Apologies for the brief Sunday night response, but I wanted to add a
>> few (and IMO important) things in response to topics that have come up
>> so far:
>>
>> 1) mesoscloud as a name conflicts with the Apache trademark guidelines
>> and is likely infringing.
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/#guidelines It's also unclear
>> to me who has created this GitHub org.
>>
>> 2) The Docker files linked to are not official, they are created by
>> Mesosphere. It's possible for Mesos to make Docker files part of the
>> official release process, though, and I'd encourage that!
>>

> OK. Then if there will be any plans to create Docker images maintained
> by Apache, we'll stay tuned.
>
>> 3) Yes, Apache proejcts can create binaries for Apache releases, they
>> just require separate vote. Apache Aurora has been doing this, for
>> example. http://markmail.org/thread/4gxaiuzlo7r5vigk
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Cheers,
> Michal

Of course a correct link to kolla-mesos repo is:
https://github.com/openstack/kolla-mesos

My mistake.

Posted by Michal Rostecki <mr...@mirantis.com>.

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@davelester.org>.
Hi Marek,

Posted by Marek Zawadzki <mz...@mirantis.com>.
Adam - thank you.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Official Mesos/Marathon Docker images - please share your thoughts/plans

Posted by Michal Rostecki <mr...@mirantis.com>.

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
Mesoscloud docker file https://github.com/mesoscloud

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Official Mesos/Marathon Docker images - please share your thoughts/plans

Posted by Michal Rostecki <mr...@mirantis.com>.
Hi Artem,

First of all, we are experimenting now with creating
Mesos+Marathon+Chronos images which satisfy our needs under the Kolla
project umbrella. My change about this is in review and you can see it here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/261331/

So, these images I'm introducing to kolla have the following features:
- are using newest version of every Mesos+Marathon component
- are running processes by non-root users (except the mesos-slave container)
- have support for both CentOS and Ubuntu
- everything comes from Mesosphere yum/apt repository

If you're open for bringing such changes (or pull requests) into the
Dockerfiles under the mesosphere/ namespace, let us know.

And well, I have one new problem, which is more about packaging of
Marathon. I see that Marathon package on CentOS works well with OpenJDK
and doesn't require Oracle Java. Unfortunately, Ubuntu packages require
only Oracle Java packages and there is no way to use OpenJDK without hacks.

So, my question here - is there any specific reason why Marathon on
Ubuntu can't be installed with OpenJDK like on CentOS?

For now, we probably need to "hack" these requirements and use OpenJDK
anyway, because we shoudn't provide anything on the non-free license for
the OpenStack users.

Thank you in advance.

Also, one comment inline.

On 01/11/2016 08:26 AM, Artem Harutyunyan wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> Thanks for the feedback! The issues that you've discovered with images at
> https://hub.docker.com/r/mesosphere
> <https://hub.docker.com/r/mesosphere/zookeeper/> all seem to be solvable.
> I'll forward your feedback to the maintainer of ZooKeeper and Chronos
> images. We'll also look into adding Docker into Mesos slave image. I am not
> sure whether Docker in Docker works out of the box (I know it doesn't for
> earlier versions of Docker).

Docker in Docker image works well. There are some examples / proofs for
that.

1. In my patch to kolla which I linked above, it's working in
mesos-slave container.
2. Docker provides a Dockerfile for itself :)
https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/Dockerfile
3. Kolla provides a Dockerfile for Docker as well -
https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/master/docker/dind/Dockerfile.j2

Posted by Artem Harutyunyan <ar...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi Marek,

Thanks for the feedback! The issues that you've discovered with images at
https://hub.docker.com/r/mesosphere
<https://hub.docker.com/r/mesosphere/zookeeper/> all seem to be solvable.
I'll forward your feedback to the maintainer of ZooKeeper and Chronos
images. We'll also look into adding Docker into Mesos slave image. I am not
sure whether Docker in Docker works out of the box (I know it doesn't for
earlier versions of Docker).

Cheers,
Artem.