Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by "Wilfong, Paul" <pa...@ngc.com> on 2007/11/05 20:38:01 UTC

Log4cxx - "no default charset decoder available" message

I am trying to build log4cxx on a Sun.

When I do the make, I get "#error  No default charset decoder available"
which comes out of charsetdecoder.cpp.

Details:

SunOS 5.10, and g++ 3.4.3. The computer is not connected to the
internet.

I've managed to make the apr and apr util stuff, but can't install them
to /usr/lib due to lack of privilege.  I use --prefix to put them in a
different location.

I have not built cppunit on this computer and hope to be able to bypass
it for now if possible.

For the log4cxx build I am using the following commands:
   sh ./autogen.sh
   ./configure --with-apr=blahblah  --with-apr-util=blahblah
--disable-cppunit
   make

At this point the error is reported from the charsetdecoder.cpp compile.

The ./configure step reports (among many other things) the following:
   checking for wchar_t... yes
   checking for logchar type...  utf_8

I've searched the message forums and have found a couple of related
entries, but am not sure if they apply to what I am seeing.  Any
assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Log4cxx - "no default charset decoder available" message

Posted by "Wilfong, Paul" <pa...@ngc.com>.
Once again - Thank you Curt.  You put me on track to deal with this
problem.

I ended up finding a folder on the Sun that was in a fellow user's area,
something like ".../apr-iconv/lib".

Repeating the configure, and adding "-with-iconv=" using this folder,
did the trick.

Best - Paul Wilfong

On Nov 5, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Wilfong, Paul wrote:

> I am trying to build log4cxx on a Sun.
>
> When I do the make, I get "#error  No default charset decoder
> available"  which comes out of charsetdecoder.cpp.
>

> Details:
>
> SunOS 5.10, and g++ 3.4.3. The computer is not connected to the
> internet.
>
> I've managed to make the apr and apr util stuff, but can't install
> them to /usr/lib due to lack of privilege.  I use --prefix to put them

> in a different location.
>
> I have not built cppunit on this computer and hope to be able to
> bypass it for now if possible.
>
> For the log4cxx build I am using the following commands:
>    sh ./autogen.sh
>    ./configure --with-apr=blahblah  --with-apr-util=blahblah  --
> disable-cppunit
>    make
>
> At this point the error is reported from the charsetdecoder.cpp
> compile.
>
> The ./configure step reports (among many other things) the following:
>    checking for wchar_t... yes
>    checking for logchar type...  utf_8
>

> I've searched the message forums and have found a couple of related
> entries, but am not sure if they apply to what I am seeing.  Any
> assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

log4cxx needs some mechanism to convert from the current default
encoding to a known encoding (in your case, UTF-8).  Generally on
Unix environments, this function is performed by the apr_xlate
function defined in apr-util which in turn typically delegates to
iconv.   For you to get that message, it would appear that your apr-
util build could not find iconv and therefore set APR_HAS_XLATE to 0.

If you know that the default encoding is fixed as UTF-8, ISO-8859-1
(aka Latin 1) or US-ASCII, you can set a processor macro to indicate
that.  Otherwise, you need to diagnose why apr-util could not find
iconv.  On most Unix, running "iconv -l" will list the available
character sets and can be used as a quick check whether iconv is
installed.

Re: Log4cxx - "no default charset decoder available" message

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.