Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/24 06:56:12 UTC

Abdera Development

Greetings,

My name is Harris Boyce; I contacted Mr. Snell earlier this weekend
(22 Sept) about beginning a .NET implementation of Abdera.  As I
mentioned to him in my e-mail, while I do not have much experience
with Open Source development, I have been researching Atom and Abdera
for the past few months and this project really interests me and I
would like to contribute to this project.

While I have looked over a few of the files, I haven't really had the
time to get a complete understanding of the architecture.  So, I
suppose that's a good place to start.  I hope that we can start
discussing the design of the framework and how to achieve the
appropriate analogs in a .NET implementation.

I explained to Mr. Snell that I have about 2 nights a week that I am
able to commit to this project.  I hope that is alright as I have
personal/family commitments the rest of the week.  I look forward to
working with everyone and that we can work together to further Atom
and Abdera on the Web.

Harris Boyce

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
Stephen,

Thanks for the guidence; I'll have to try this later this evening (I'm
on EST) and see how it goes.  I wasn't aware that Eclipse is free.
Hopefully, this will get me started.

Thanks again,

Harris

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
Stephen,

OK, so that's lightyears better...I wish I understood what happened
there, but the result is exactly what I needed.

Thanks so much!!

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 9/25/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Lastly, not being a Java developer some of the libraries referenced by
> > Abdera are foreign to me, like Axiom/StAX, etc. so I'm finding it a
> > little difficult finding a good starting point for development.  My
> > plan is to, at least right now, start looking at the JUnit tests and
> > start working forward from there - but the question then becomes where
> > to start testing...Maybe these are all questions once I can spend some
> > more time looking at the source.
> >

> StAX is an XML Pull Parser.  I'm not all that familiar with .NET but I
> believe this [1] is a fairly close analog.
>
> Axiom is an XML Infoset implementation built on top of StAX.  This will
> be the hardest thing for you to port.  Essentially, Axiom parses the XML
> into an in-memory representation of the infoset, but does so
> incrementally (e.g. it only parses what the user actually asks for).  I
> recommend consulting with the members of the ws-commons project for help
>  on Axiom.
>
> [1] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/22/parsing.html

I think you're right James, the Axiom bit is going to be interesting.
My initial reaction to seeing the code involved with Axiom and the FOM
was "hey, a great chance to use XML Serialization" (.NET has built in
capabilities to serialize the data from an instance of type to/from
XML), but you got me with the incrementally bit.  I believe that it's
an all or nothing thing for the out-of-box serialization in .NET - at
least that's the way it was in 1.x version; I haven't messed with
serialization in 2.0.

The pull-based model that is StAX shouldn't be an issue as there's
built-in forward-only, read-only cursor support for XML just as you
referenced.  There's also support for bi-directional and updatable (in
2.0) cursors over XML as well [1].  So I'll take a look further into
serialization and Axiom and continue to bounce ideas here.

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/system.xml.xpath.xpathdocument.aspx

> > One thing I would like comments on (as if I haven't asked enough
> > questions already) is what your thoughts are on which runtime version
> > to target (.NET 1.1 vs 2.0).  I couldn't conclusively determine if the
> > Mono compilers support the new language features of C# 2.0.  I feel
> > .NET 2.0 would be a better target given the intrinsic support for XML
> > Encryption/Security and significant performance improvements to the
> > XML reading/parsing/etc. library and while I would like this
> > implementation to be Mono-compatible, this may just be a matter of
> > crawl-walk-run.
> >

> I personally would target .NET 2.0, but then again, I'm not all that
> familiar with .NET or it's adoption patterns.

My initial thought was to target 2.0 and then move back if necessary,
but I would like to strive to have it target Mono as well so that it,
too, can run on virtually any platform, not just Win32/64.  I'll see
about posting and reading elsewhere about what Mono's capabilities are
in relation to v2.0 (wow, almost a year old!).

- Harris

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Harris Boyce III wrote:
> James,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.  I have taken a look at some of the
> source so I am some-what familiar with it.  I guess there are two
> things that I think I could use to help get started; first, is there a
> recommended environment for working with the source?  I'm not a Java
> developer so I am not really familiar with the available toolsets/IDEs
> for developers with  a, um, restricted budget.

As Stephen pointed out, Eclipse is what you want.

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
James,

Re: Abdera Development

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
Garrett,

Thanks for the reply; I'll be sure to keep you in the loop once there
is some code to commit to the project.

Thanks,

Harris

Re: Abdera Development