Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1999/05/01 19:30:00 UTC

Re: os-linux/4268: Performance drops off after high specweb loads on highperformance-conf-dist

The following reply was made to PR os-linux/4268; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>
To: Karthik Prabhakar <ka...@corp.hp.com>
Cc: prab@cs.purdue.edu, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-linux/4268: Performance drops off after high specweb loads on  highperformance-conf-dist
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

 On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Karthik Prabhakar wrote:

 > >From the strace, it appears that the read() from the socket is
 > taking a bit of time, as well as the flock().

 the flock() is not abnormal -- it's used for interprocess synchronization.
 The read() is also probably not a problem... it's usually client latency.

 I'm not sure what's up... I'm actually going to have a chance to test this
 stuff out on a high end linux box under specweb this weekend I think.  So
 I may be able to repeat it.

 Dean