Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/06 22:28:03 UTC

Bylaws and Releases

Having volunteered as release manager Struts Action 1.3.1, I'm reading
the instructions. :)

The bylaws [1] say that release plans must be announced on the dev
list and that each issue is decided by lazy majority.

I interpret this to mean that I can [ANNOUNCE] the release plan and
the intended date, then proceed with tagging the repository and
creating the test build, as long as -1's do not outnumber +1's.  In
practice, of course, any -1 is likely to stop the process.

But that's not what has happened for recent releases-- [VOTE]s have
been called to confirm the release plans themselves, and then again
for the quality of the proposed releases.

Am I interpreting the bylaws correctly?  Is there an unwritten rule
about when you should call a vote on a release plan?

[1] http://struts.apache.org/bylaws.html

Wendy

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
> Sorry, but I'm going to keep quoting the bylaws until I understand how
> this works.
>
> " After a proposed release is built, it must be tested and classified
> before being released to the general public. The proposed release may
> be assigned "Alpha", "Beta" or "General Availability" classifications
> by majority vote. Once a release is classified by the PMC Members, it
> may be distributed to the general public on behalf of the Foundation.
> "
>
> That says the "Alpha" label cannot be applied to a release without a
> vote.  Before that, it's only a 'proposed release'.  (The notion of
> 'test build' is not in the bylaws.)  It also says that alpha releases
> can be distributed.
>
> I have an ulterior motive in wanting to preserve the "official" alpha
> designation.  MyFaces is waiting on another Shale release-- alpha is
> fine, but it needs to be a sanctioned release so it can go in the
> Maven repository.
>
> Thanks for your patience. :)

The notion of a test-build stems from the phrase "After a proposed
release is built". We've been using "test build" as a synonym for
"proposed release".

My suggestion would be that we use three classifications

* Alpha Build
* Beta Release
* GA Release

when a committer tags and rolls a build pursuant to a release plan,
the build could be granted a default "Alpha Build" status by lazy
consensus. After announcing the Alpha Build to the dev@ list, we could
vote to change the status to a Beta or GA Release. Once a build is
sanctioned by the PMC, then we could announce it to the user list.

As to the "ulterior" motive, if something is going to be sanctioned,
we might as well sanction it as a Beta.

-Ted.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/10/06, Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
> > That says the "Alpha" label cannot be applied to a release without a
> > vote.  Before that, it's only a 'proposed release'.  (The notion of
> > 'test build' is not in the bylaws.)  It also says that alpha releases
> > can be distributed.
>
> I think "proposed release" and "test build" essentially mean the same
> thing, though I might prefer the use of "proposed release" a bit
> simply because it makes it very clear that the build is not yet a
> release.  But I think that last phrase is the point.  It matters
> little what we call it on the user list as long as we make it very
> clear that it is not a release.

We've been using "test build" for a while, we should stick with it.

I'd prefer to see us announce them on both dev and user lists.

As an aside, do you think that most people who are interested in
> testing and playing with stuff like this would be subscribed to the
> dev@ list anyway?  If so, does the announcement really need to go to
> the user@ list before it becomes a release?

It would be cool if that were true (all of the interested parties would be
subscribed to dev), but I suspect it is not. Indeed, if all you care about
is knowing when cutting edge stuff might be worth trying out, and don't care
so much about influencing what is changing (other than perhaps submitting
some Bugzilla tickets), that's an understandable approach to reducing
mailbox bloat.

Greg

Craig

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/9/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Why are you bringing this up now? This is a rehash of a discussion we had
> years ago. The first announcement of a Test Build was sent to the user list
> in February 2004, over two years ago. I'm not aware of problems over the
> last two years that would lead us to need to rehash it all over again now.

Heretofore, the PMC was voting on the release plan.

-Ted.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
If I remember correctly, Tomcat announces each release publically and calls
them "alpha" before GA. I think Ted has a good point, but I don't want
to quibble over "alpha" or "test" since, as Wendy pointed out,
it is a release. As long as the user list knows it's not an official
version, which was Martin's comment, I think there will be little
confusion.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/10/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/9/06, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need to fix /releases.html, which is inconsistent with recent
> > history and sentiment. :)
> >
> > " The test build can be posted to the internal distribution directory
> > (svn.apache.org/struts/) and announced to the Struts DEV and PMC lists
> > (only!). Do not announce a test build on any other Apache lists or
> > link to it from an Apache website. "
>
> +1
>

> > Back to my motives:  Shale likely won't make it past alpha until
> > Standalone Tiles does.
> >
> > Just so nothing comes up at the last minute, the as-yet-unnanounced
> > intent is to do another Shale build, and assuming it is graded alpha,
> > to distribute it from www.apache.org/dist/java-repository, which will
> > replicate to ibiblio.  The way things stand, there will be no 'alpha'
> > modifier in the filenames, just 'shale-test-1.0.1.jar', etc.
>
> Ummm, I don't believe we want to start using modifiers again. It would
> just be shale-1.0.1.jar. The quality grade (including no grade) is
> extracurricular from the distribution file name, allowing us to adjust
> the grade based on actual experience.

+1.

Now, if we were able to roll a tiles-1.0.0 first, and by some miracle
> that ever went GA, then, from what you have said, then shale-1.0.1
> might be able to go GA too.

Standalone Tiles is not very far into the proposed refactoring, and it would
be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to clean that stuff up before a GA
release.

-Ted.

Craig

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I agree with Martin.

Niall

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/9/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would agree that we don't need to vote on Release Plans that have
> been maintained for three or more days in plain sight on the wiki.
>
> But, I would suggest that we not announce "test builds" to the user
> list until the distribution has passed a qualty vote and earned a beta
> or GA designation.

I disagree. I believe that as long as the subject line is something like:

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Struts 1.2.9 Test Build

and the message makes it clear that a test build is not a release, we
actually gain from telling people that it's available, because some
proportion of the community will pick it up and give it a whirl. This is
what we've (or at least I've) done in the past, and it has worked out fine.

If we only announce it to the dev list, we increase the likelyhood that we
end up with a build that we label GA that ends up not being GA because bugs
weren't found until a wider audience was exposed to it.

I do agree that we should make sure people understand that it's not a
release, but I don't think we need to assume that the user@ audience is too
dumb to recognise the distinction between a Test Build and a Release.

--
Martin Cooper

An announcement to the user list makes the build seem like a Release,

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

> Having volunteered as release manager Struts Action 1.3.1, I'm reading
> the instructions. :)
>
> The bylaws [1] say that release plans must be announced on the dev
> list and that each issue is decided by lazy majority.

Right. In the old days, the release plans were part of the site, generated
from XML, so we needed to announce them so that people would know they were
there. These days, we use the wiki for the release plans, so the
announcement is not strictly necessary (since people see the wiki
notification). Still, an announcement is not a bad idea.

The individual issues are also tracked on the wiki as part of the release
plan now, so it's much easier to keep track of current status. If someone
doesn't like what they see on the wiki page, they'll usually post to the
list about it. I think that fits as "lazy". ;-)

I interpret this to mean that I can [ANNOUNCE] the release plan and
> the intended date, then proceed with tagging the repository and
> creating the test build, as long as -1's do not outnumber +1's.  In
> practice, of course, any -1 is likely to stop the process.
>
> But that's not what has happened for recent releases-- [VOTE]s have
> been called to confirm the release plans themselves, and then again
> for the quality of the proposed releases.

As Niall pointed out, voting on the release plans themselves is a recent
thing, but it's not necessary. For "big" changes, like the first 1.3 test
build, it's not a bad idea, so that we're all sure we're on the same page,
but in general, we've often said that anyone can produce a test build.
Really, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't get a good quality
vote.

I'd suggest that you either 'announce' the release plan, to make sure
everyone is on board, providing a link to the wiki page that includes all
the relevant issues, or just send an 'STP' message (Short Term Plan) stating
your intent to roll a test build.

Am I interpreting the bylaws correctly?  Is there an unwritten rule
> about when you should call a vote on a release plan?

No, I don't think there are unwritten rules. Our current system is
effectively "build first, vote later", because we don't classify the test
build as a release - it's just that, a Test Build.

So, basically, go for it, Wendy. :-) And thanks!

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Bylaws and Releases

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Sounds OK to me - the voting on plans seems to have been a recent addition.
I have something almost ready for Bug  38749 - which is in extras. I guess
from this, thats not affected as this is action only?

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=38749

Niall