Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2009/09/25 00:02:16 UTC

jDKIM as a new James product

Hi all,

I'm completing a DKIM library in java.
The alternative were
1) DKIM for JavaMail: this just sign and is very javamail related and
difficult to integrate in james.
2) JavaDKIM: GPL, I found bugs and it was taking much more fixing it
than writing my own implementation.
3) Tom Brown's contributed mailets: DomainKeys and not DKIM implementation.

I'd like to add the library to James as it complete jSPF on the email
authentication/antispam side.
I'd call it jDKIM.

ATM it doesn't include mailets/matcher to be included in James but I
plan to write them soon.

Opinions?

Re: jDKIM as a new James product

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2009/9/25 Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>:
> Stefano,
>
> This sounds like excellent news!
>
> I remember that my implementation of DomainKeys couldn't be packaged
> with James due to the Apache foundation's concerns over the licensing
> of the DK spec. Is it possible that DKIM is encumbered in the same
> way?
>
> If so, what are the options for releasing jDKIM?

Well, after a few months we had an answer from the legal team.
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#domainkeys

After that it was no more included because of lack of time :-(

I'm not sure if it still worth trying adding them now as industry is
moving from DomainKey to DKIM and most organizations verify DKIM today
instead of DomainKey. What do you think?
In any case we could put the code in a submodule of the new project if
jDKIM is accepted by the rest of the James community.

Stefano

Re: jDKIM as a new James product

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Stefano,

This sounds like excellent news!

I remember that my implementation of DomainKeys couldn't be packaged
with James due to the Apache foundation's concerns over the licensing
of the DK spec. Is it possible that DKIM is encumbered in the same
way?

If so, what are the options for releasing jDKIM?

Tom

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
So I'll start committing stuff in james/jdkim

Stefano

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefano,

a big +1 from me. I'm looking forward to see the code :)

Bye,
Norman