Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/07 20:38:42 UTC

Re: Issues currently assigned to release 1.0 that I would like to change

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I wrote the last email looking for guidance and then just
> went through all the Release 1.0 issues and compiled the list of
> things I want to change.
>
> I think it's important that we push to get a release out, and part of
> doing this is having a clear view of what is part of the release. When
> we are pushing for a release, I think it is important to identify what
> *must* go in and what can wait. Generally, if something is not
> absolutely required, I think it should go in the next release. If
> someone cares about it and gets a patch in before we release, then
> great, but if not it shouldn't stop the release. Therefore the largest
> list by far is the list of things I want to move to Release 1.1.
>
> This is the list of issues I've reviewed and more recommended changes
> and rationales. Please review and respond if there are things you
> don't agree with. If there is no objection, I will try to make these
> changes this weekend.
>
> Thanks,
> Ethan
>
> Change to "Fixed":
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-53 - Implement access
> pools <-- Looks to me like this is complete
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-40 - Static Texts in
> Resource File <-- Is this complete? We have Chinese translations
> already

> 3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-125 - Change Date format
> to make lists sortable: Users and Streams pages <-- This appears to be
> fixed (I've set it to resolved)
>

> Change to "Won't fix":
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-102 - Ability to add
> tags to message are missing <-- Tags can be added through hash tags,
> or API
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-47 - Some Licensing Nits
> <-- Seems like the result of the discussion was "Won't fix"

this is an issue that we will have to deal with before we create a release.

> Move to Release 1.1:
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-143 - HTTP Post Actions
> should post a message with the results of the HTTP post action <--
> Lack of consensus on proper implementation (keep as patch for release
> 1.0)
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-107 - Harmonize code to
> display of users <-- Nice to have, not required for release (also
> blocked by new UI)
> 3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-109 - Harmonize
> tag/found word searches <-- Nice to have, part of new UI build (now
> linked)
> 4. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-18 - JMX support <-- Nice to have
> 5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-16 - Unifying server
> calls (JSON-related) <-- Seems like a nice to have
> 6. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-122 - Message when user
> is deleted from a pool is missing <-- Seems like a nice to have
> 7. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-119 - Messages for
> Action Page <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion
> 8. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-121 - Messages for
> Streams Page <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion
> 9. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-120 - Messages for Track
> Page are missing <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion (or
> perhaps I'm misunderstanding this group of issues)

These are smaller issues that I created for people who were interested
in contributing but didn't want to start with huge / complicated
issues

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Ethan,

I don't have anything to add to your comments, other than that I agree.
IMO it is more important to get a release shipped, than it being technically perfect.

@Dick: AFAIK issue 47 is OK.
Robert says in one of the comments to the task "<snip> Apache prefers not to have copyright notices", he doesn't say it is forbidden. Can someone (Mentor or anyone else who knows) please confirm this?

What do we do about the streams page?
I don't see why we should remove it, but I think it at least requires a better documentation (in the wiki) before it is released.
Even if we decide to keep streams, I don't think #117 would be a necessity for release 1.0.

/Anne