Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Grey.Lee" <Le...@SunTrust.com> on 2004/08/31 17:04:50 UTC

Container-managed authentication (Tapestry and AppFuse)

I'm still hacking away at using Tapestry and AppFuse together.  One of
the nexus points is logging in, where AppFuse uses j_security_check to
log in via a servlet.

Is there an easy way to log in with a Tapestry form and still get the
login processed by AppFuse's LoginServlet, or would it be simpler just
to login using a Struts form and then enter the world of Tapestry?  If I
do so, will there be complications with the sessions in the two worlds?

Thanks,

Lee Grey
The information transmitted is intended solely
for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or taking action
in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you have received this email in
error please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.

Re: Container-managed authentication (Tapestry and AppFuse)

Posted by Michael Henderson <mh...@mac.com>.
Yep, I have a lot of experience with WebObjects and even that URL
scheme gets clunky.

My last WO project was http://www.la.com. I used stateless components
(more like Tapestry components) and one DirectAction class
with an urlpath parameter the urlpath is a path to an object in an
information tree and the path determines which components are to be
used to display the various parts of the page. Even the search form
uses the same DirectAction. It's all written with apache rewrite rules
in mind so that:

http://www.la.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/cgpportal.woa/wa/path?
urlpath=%2Fdining%2Fguideme%2Ffoodandwineevents%2F29278

becomes:

http://www.la.com/dining/guideme/foodandwineevents/29278

It's tested, we just have not turned it on yet.

Mike

Re: Using DatePicker in my own component

Posted by kd...@kcp.com.
My bad -- it appears that when I had myws:DateTimePicker and my own
DateTimePicker the javascript stepped on each other or something... when I
switch to JUST using my component the calendar pops up fine.

Kevin

--
Kevin C. Dorff
IT Systems Engineer, Staff

kdorff@kcp.com
08/31/2004 10:23 AM
Please respond to
"Tapestry users" <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tapestry users" <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Using DatePicker in my own component

I added the DatePicker to a component I am building. It displays on the
screen correctly (the text field and the graphic) but which I click the
graphic button IE gives a javascript error (Firefox gives no error at all,

but, does nothing when I click the graphic button):

   Error: 'calendar_datePicker' is null or not an object

The name of my DatePicker component is datePicker.

Any idea what is going on here? My component is a pretty simple
html/jwc/java component. The html is comprised of just the datepicker and
two propertyselection controls.

It appears the javascript for the date picker is not being included in the

page, I think.

Thanks for any help or guidance anybody can provide.

Kevin

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Michael Henderson wrote:
> Hi,
>    How hard would it be to hack the IEngine and IEngineSservice
> implementations to switch the url pattern from:
>
> /myapp/app?service=page/MyPage
>
> to something like:
>
> /myapp/app/page/MyPage

Like this?

	http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/FriendlyUrls

> that is break the URL into:
>
> [app]/[service]/[service-parameters]
>

> This would fit more neatly with container managed security.

I definitely would like to see the URL scheme be more flexible to allow
for an implementation that does away with query parameters for most
things.  WebObjects, for example, used really long paths without query
parameters (IIRC).

	Erik

Re: Container-managed authentication (Tapestry and AppFuse)

Posted by Michael Parlee <mp...@mac.com>.
Sounds like...

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.
On Aug 31, 2004, at 9:19 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Grey.Lee wrote:
>> I'm still hacking away at using Tapestry and AppFuse together.  One of
>> the nexus points is logging in, where AppFuse uses j_security_check to
>> log in via a servlet.
>
> I'm not familiar with the guts of AppFuse, but there is no difference
> with login when using form-based container security - it *must* submit
> to j_security_check.  And this works "ok" with Tapestry, except there
> is an issue with URL's and having a Tapestry-based login page.  Try
> using a login.jsp at first.
>
>> Is there an easy way to log in with a Tapestry form and still get the
>> login processed by AppFuse's LoginServlet, or would it be simpler just
>> to login using a Struts form and then enter the world of Tapestry?
>> If I
>> do so, will there be complications with the sessions in the two
>> worlds?
>
> How does AppFuse use a LoginServlet and j_security_check?  I'm
> unfamiliar with its tricks other than seeing the brief mentions Matt
> has made in his blog about the login stuff.

It just sends a redirect to j_security_check so it can encypt password
programmatically as well as implement remember me functionality.  As
Erik suggests - you should be able to use container-managed security
with Tapestry.  I'd simply use index.jsp to redirect to protected
Tapestry resources and other JSPs outside of the protected area.

> URL-based security is tricky with Tapestry, unless you do some tricks,
> or apply Paul's patch to fix-up the URL handling.

Is this available in the form of a patch or just as a howto?

Matt

Re: Container-managed authentication (Tapestry and AppFuse)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.