Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> on 2008/05/30 16:04:18 UTC

Re: Coding standards

Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>> Here's what the community approved:
>> http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE---Approve-coding-conventions-for-the-Derby-project-td5771191.html
>>

>> We are supposed to use spaces rather than tabs and indentation
>> should be 4 spaces according to the included standard
>> (http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html). However,
>> we also allowed ourselves plenty of wiggle room in old code.
> Well there were quite a few rumblings during the vote so I am not
> totally sure it passed or at least that consensus was reached.

Do rumblings nullify the results of a vote? According to the voting
guidelines [1], votes on procedural issues have passed if there are more
favourable votes than unfavourable ones, which I think was the case in
that vote. Also, no one can veto a vote on a procedural issue.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

--
Knut Anders

Re: Coding standards

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> Here's what the community approved:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE---Approve-coding-conventions-for-the-Derby-project-td5771191.html
>>>

>>> We are supposed to use spaces rather than tabs and indentation
>>> should be 4 spaces according to the included standard
>>> (http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html). However,
>>> we also allowed ourselves plenty of wiggle room in old code.
>>>
>> Well there were quite a few rumblings during the vote so I am not
>> totally sure it passed or at least that consensus was reached.
>>

> Do rumblings nullify the results of a vote? According to the voting
> guidelines [1], votes on procedural issues have passed if there are more
> favourable votes than unfavourable ones, which I think was the case in
> that vote. Also, no one can veto a vote on a procedural issue.
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I think the vote technically passed but the support for it was weak
compared to other issues we have voted on. I suspect that weak support
translates into weak enforcement. In any event, awareness of the
approved standard will improve if we clean up the contributors' checklist.

Regards,
-Rick