Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com> on 2015/02/04 18:39:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse Proxy Basic Question

So I have been trying to better understand mod_proxy, specifically, reverse proxy on apache 2.4.10.

I have read http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html to better understand but I still have a basic question.

In a reverse proxy directive/statement:

ProxyPass / http://something.com/something

The "/" in ProxyPass / is what I am trying to understand at the moment. So, the "/" refers to the root of an address/domain? Like http://something.com?<http://something.com/?> So the statement above would return http://something.com/something?

And this statement:

ProxyPass /foo http://something.com/foo

means, a user types in their browser http://somehting.com/foo and the above statement would return http://something.com/foo?

Is this correct?

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy Basic Question

Posted by Daniel <df...@gmail.com>.
Can't really understand where you get the idea of using "?" in the urls
like that.

Anyways your first proxypass is incorrect, you always need to match
slashes, like:

ProxyPass / http://something.com/ <http://something.com/something> or
ProxyPass / http://something.com/something/