Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by long thai <th...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/11 12:05:45 UTC

"Too many fetch-failures" ERROR

Hi all.

The error I encounter is so common, however, after 2 weeks of searching and
following all solution, I still stuck at it. So, I hope that anyone can help
me to overcome this issue :)

First, I use Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 and hadoop-0.20.2. I successfully setup for
single node based on instruction of Michael G. Noll.

Second, I setup Hadoop for multi nodes, following Noll's instruction, and
encounter the error. This is my config files

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.1.1    thailong-desktop
#192.168.1.2 localhost
#192.168.1.2 thailong-desktop

#::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
#fe00::0 ip6-localnet
#ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
#ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
#ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
#ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
192.168.1.4 node1
192.168.1.2 master

core-site.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Put site-specific property overrides in this file. -->
<configuration>
<property>
  <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
  <value>/usr/local/hadoop-datastore/hadoop-${user.name}</value>
  <description>A base for other temporary directories.</description>
</property>
<property>
  <name>fs.default.name</name>
  <value>hdfs://master:54310</value>
  <description>The name of the default file system.  A URI whose
  scheme and authority determine the FileSystem implementation.  The
  uri's scheme determines the config property (fs.SCHEME.impl) naming
  the FileSystem implementation class.  The uri's authority is used to
  determine the host, port, etc. for a filesystem.</description>
</property>
</configuration>

mapred-site.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Put site-specific property overrides in this file. -->
<configuration>
<!-- In: conf/mapred-site.xml -->
<property>
  <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
  <value>master:54311</value>
  <description>The host and port that the MapReduce job tracker runs
  at.  If "local", then jobs are run in-process as a single map
  and reduce task.
  </description>
</property>
</configuration>

hdfs.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Put site-specific property overrides in this file. -->
<configuration>
<!-- In: conf/hdfs-site.xml -->
<property>
  <name>dfs.replication</name>
  <value>1</value>
  <description>Default block replication.
  The actual number of replications can be specified when the file is
created.
  The default is used if replication is not specified in create time.
  </description>
</property>
</configuration>

I try to setup the Hadoop on single node again, but at this time, instead of
using localhost, I set all value to master, which is the host name of the
local machine, and the error is still there. It seems that there is a
problem in mapred-site.xml, if I change mapred.job.tracker to localhost, or
change the IP address of master in /etc/hosts to 127.0.1.1, the system runs
with error. is there something that I missed?

This problem has haunted me for weeks, any help from you is precious to me.

Regards

Re: "Too many fetch-failures" ERROR

Posted by long thai <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

For single node installation using localhost in cofig files, Hadoop run very
well. However, If I change localhost to the hostname which is assigned to
local machine in /etc/hosts file, in my case it is master, I receive "Too
many fetch-failure" error. I think there is a problem with transferring data
to mapred process. Am I right? Is there any way to solve it?

Regards.

Posted by Raghava Mutharaju <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi,