Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Piper, James D CECOM SEC EPS" <Ja...@mail1.monmouth.army.mil> on 2003/04/04 18:51:49 UTC

[OT] intermittent build and deploy Struts application to WLS pro blem

This is a bit OT (probably has nothing to do with struts), but the problem
has gone from an irritation to annoying to really starting to tick me off. I
hope that since many of you are working with similar environments that you
may be able to help me out here:

Problem
-------
Intermittently when I deploy to WLS I will receive anywhere from 1 to about
40 errors of the form: 'Public class blah blah blah must be defined in a
file called blah blah blah' (I think these errors are thrown when the WLS is
attempting to recompile my EJB JAR within the server, not sure about that
though).  The clinker is that if I change no source code, recompile and
redeploy again, then occasionally I will not have the errors and everything
will run fine from there on in.

There have been times where I have gone through the hair pulling process of
running my ant clean, ant build scripts, and attempting to deploy 10 times
before all of the sudden Blamo, it works.... only to fail again the next
time I need to recompile.

Environment description
-----------------------
1. I edit source, compile and build WAR, EJB JAR, support class JAR, and EAR
on Windows 2K using ant.  I use the manifest.update feature to put class
path info about classes used in both EJBs and Servlets into the EAR file.
2. ANT_HOME = \apache-ant-1.5.3Beta1 (also tried 1.5.2  and 1.5.1)
3. JAVA_HOME = \j2sdk_forte\jdk1.4.0 (also tried 1.3.1)
4. Attempting to deploy EAR to BEA Web Logic Server 6.1 sp4 (also tried sp2)
running on a Sun server using WLS browser based admin tool.
5. The application uses Struts, log4j, rowtag among other things.

Some Observations
-----------------
1. The size of my EAR file changes each time I run my ant build script.
Looking inside the EAR I see that the compressed sizes of my WAR and EJB
JAR, and support class JAR files change each time the EAR build is run
(while the sizes of the original WAR and JARs remain the same - and the
original and compressed sizes of all my 3rd party JARs also remain the
same).

2. Also I notice that when the size of the EAR gets smaller then the app is
more likely to deploy ok.

3. If I attempt to redeploy the same EAR file over and over then I will get
the same number of errors each time.  If I recompile and deploy I will get a
different number of errors (or none).  If I have an EAR file that works then
I can redeploy that EAR file over and over and never get an error.

4. Have never seen the error when I deploy to JBOSS on my local Win 2K
machine.

Some Things I've tried
----------------------
1. change time out settings on http within WLS
2. deleting the old .ear file from WLS before redeploy
3. deleting the .wlnotdelete file from WLS before deploy
4. restarting the wls
5. undeploying, refreshing wls view, compiling, redeploying all in different
orders
6. holding my breath and crossing my fingers
7. not watching the deployment dos screen
8. watching the deployment dos screen
9. manually ftping the file to wls
10. wls running in debug mode
11. wls running in production mode
12. wls update from 6.1 to 6.1.4 something
13. removing all dos crlf from java and jsp in ant
14. touching all java and jsp files in ant
15. browsing ear and jar files for clues
16. asking wls admin for help
17. tracking size of ear files
18. noticing that ear file size changes even when no source has changed
19. suspecting something screwey with build process
20. stop wls during build
21. starting wls duing build
22. changed structure of EAR file
23. removed common classes from WAR and JAR and put in EAR with Manifest
24. put shared classes in a common JAR
25. updated from ant version 5.0 to 5.2

I've been living with this for months now, but my patience with it is
wearing out the closer I get to the due date.

Any help very much appreciated.

- Jim Piper

Re: [OT] intermittent build and deploy Struts application to WLS pro blem

Posted by Daniel Jaffa <ja...@courtinnovation.org>.
Dump WLS and go over to JBOSS in production.  We are currenly going to save
something like
500k  by not upgrading to wls 7.0 or wls 8.0 and go directly to Jboss in
production.