Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andy Olliver <an...@unfortu.net> on 2000/05/25 11:04:19 UTC

httpd.conf and performance / flexibility

I'm playing around with config of Apache httpd.conf.
(using tomcat as servlet engine)

Both of the following do the job but I'm wondering if their are any pros/cons in terms of performance and flexibility

AddType application/xml .xml
AddHandler jserv-servlet .xml
    or
#Action cocoon /servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
#AddHandler cocoon .xml

the second one means that in order to call:
sdfsdf/abc.xml?producer=blar , file sdfsdf/abc.xml must exist or the error is handled by apache.

I guess the second also means that apache must run 2 directives in order to pass request to cocoon.

Any thoughts ??

Andy

RE: httpd.conf and performance / flexibility

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
The first is also marginally better as it does not depend on the sevlet path
alias being /servlet/, but on the module being jserv.  As jserv is the only
module (I think?) it will always work.

It also means that when making producers you can 'cheat' the logs into
telling you what is being requested by giving arbitrary names to the dummy
.xml file and then analysing the apache logs to see what folk are up to,
without having to create all the files.