Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Nordquist <kn...@eschoolsolutions.com> on 2002/08/22 22:45:10 UTC

Certs and No Common Encryption Algorithms

We have a server using Tomcat 4.0.1 with Java SDK 1.3.1 on RedHat v7.3.
This server also has Apache running.  Apache is listening on 80 and
443.  Tomcat is listening on 8080 and 8443.

I have a general question and a problem gettin SSL to work.

General Question:
In which directory should the .keystore go?  The home directory of the
owner of the process (tomcat4)?  Root's home directory?  The home
directory of the user which starts the process?

Problem:
When connecting with a non-IE browser using https on 8443, we get the
following message: "cannot communicate, no common encryption
algorithms."  What does this error mean and how can I test whether or
not Tomcat is referring to the correct (or any) .keystore?

I have read (and reread..) about the Java "keytool" command and I
searched the archives and could not find anything difinitive.  I am sure
I am missing something basic, but am out of ideas.  Any and all pointers
are appreciated!

--
Kenneth Nordquist
eSchool Solutions, Inc.

Re: Certs and No Common Encryption Algorithms

Posted by Irina Lishchenko <il...@lishchenko.de>.
On Thursday 22 August 2002 22:45, you wrote:
> We have a server using Tomcat 4.0.1 with Java SDK 1.3.1 on RedHat v7.3.
> This server also has Apache running.  Apache is listening on 80 and
> 443.  Tomcat is listening on 8080 and 8443.
>
> I have a general question and a problem gettin SSL to work.
>
> General Question:
> In which directory should the .keystore go?  The home directory of the
> owner of the process (tomcat4)?  Root's home directory?  The home
> directory of the user which starts the process?

I use TC4.0.4 and can not say how much is different from TC 4.0.1, but in
tomcat documentation http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/ssl-howto.html is
described how to set up an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 and there is
said about keystoreFile attribute for Factory element nested inside the
Connector element.:
        Add this attribute if the keystore file you created is not in
        the default place that Tomcat expects (a file named
        .keystore in the user home directory under
        which Tomcat is running).  You can specify an absolute pathname,
        or a relative pathname that is resolved against the
        $CATALINA_BASE environment variable.

Hope this helps

ilis