Posted to community@apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/10/22 07:55:52 UTC

[RT] Mailing Lists

Hi,

Thanx to RoUS (Ken), now I can get the precise
statistics of the number of the participants
of each mailing lists in apache.org. Really great job, RoUS!

--

Well, now:
Subscribers: 8316 - announce@apache.org: (as of 21st October)

This showed that we got extra (additional) 900 subscribers to
announce@apache.org list, ASF-Wide Announcement List,
in these 3 months!

I assume this "extra (additional)" 900 subscribers has already
known that they would receive over 40k mails (newsletter)
monthly or bi-monthly.

Furthermore, I got just "ONE" private mail which said
"please unsubscribe me from announce@" in these 2 months.
-- ONLY "1" --.
(NOTE: previous mail contains "Reply-To: tetsuya@apache.org")

Great! Statistics proved that most of the participants
to announce@apache.org list were welcoming such a newsletter!

Now, I can declare PROUDLY, that
"To those who do not want to receive over 40k mails: please
unsubscribe. Can't you see the procedure of how-to @ the
bottom of each mails?".
Furthermore, "If you just want to get the news of httpd *ONLY*,
please subscribe to announce@httpd.apache.org. Over
17770 subscribers to announce@httpd.apache.org might be
waiting your subscription!"

--

We, developers, tend to view the world by using only their
left-side brain, with colored-eyeglass. Prejudice.

Anyway, we got extra (additional) 900 subscribers to
announce@apache.org list in these 3 months!
Great!

Perfect marketing effort!

This is all the great contributions from many many
contributors to the #1, #2 newsletter. I *DO* really
thank to all the contributors (writers) to that
newsletter, indeed.

Thank you,

Regards,

-- Tetsuya <te...@apache.org>

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:55:52 +0900
Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Also, statistics shows everything.

Nah... "Statistics can stir up our imagination"!

... :-)

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Your points about low-bandwidth devices seems quite reasonable.  Your
proposal for a news@apache.org, which could be more verbose seems fine.  Do
you have a proposal for a size limit to enforce on announce@?

> Please do *not* consider requests to respect announce@ bandwidth
> as a slight against your efforts or your results.  The idea and it's
> execution is fantastic.  Thank you for riding the PMCs to get articles
> to you.  Before you stepped up, this was a significant void in the ASF
> and the only thing that came close was the 'apache' forum on /.

Agreed.  I think that everyone has been asking Testuya to continue as the
editor for just these very reasons.

	--- Noel

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:55 AM 10/22/2003, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

>Furthermore, I got just "ONE" private mail which said
>"please unsubscribe me from announce@" in these 2 months.
>-- ONLY "1" --.
>(NOTE: previous mail contains "Reply-To: tetsuya@apache.org")
>
>Great! Statistics proved that most of the participants
>to announce@apache.org list were welcoming such a newsletter!

It would be nice if this followed, but there is no way to determine which
messages users read.  If I'm a sysadmin, I won't be unsubscribing from
the list no matter how much it annoys me.  Many have as few as one
outward facing listeners, that one is often 80.  Many users should
consider this list in their 'crucial' inbox.

>Now, I can declare PROUDLY, that
>"To those who do not want to receive over 40k mails: please
>unsubscribe. Can't you see the procedure of how-to @ the
>bottom of each mails?".

Tetsuya, I'm very happy with the progress of the newsletter, but
I continue to disagree with your assumption and err on the side
of those that must limit their saturation.

Consider please that you have co-opted the only central resource
for information about every security vulnerability announcement
stream coming from the ASF.  These are ideal messages to take
on PDA's, cell phones etc, which in the US and elsewhere remain
low-bandwidth devices.

Looking at ten commercial vendors mails (RSA, MS, and the like)
that I get, including a few news blurbs, I find that all of them are
tables of content, containing links to each article.

In some cases I'm asked if I would like vanilla text or html flavor.
That really is a courtesy, on a dumb device like my older Siemens
phone text is much simpler.

If MS can be respectful of folks choices, why shouldn't we?  I don't
see anything unreasonable about an news@apache.org list if you
want to distribute the full document, with the TOC and pointers in
the announce@ stream.  We can certainly relay other newsworthy
bulletins in a news@ channel.

If I were not chained to my desk <g> those announcements would
be routed to my phone, not my desktop.  This argument seems totally
bound up in 'Cable/DSL modems make this whole argument moot'.
That's not the only email venue.  The other argument seems centered
around 'your client lets you download or keep messages on the server,
filter them, etc - we don't have to do this'.  Phones and pda's leave alot
to be desired for the sort of filtering that everyone expects in this
discussion.

announce@ had a very specific semantic.  Most projects, if they post
change notes in an announcement, filter them to details that users will
consider important.  Size does matter, and the announce@ list had
traditionally provided concise, timely and often critical details.

>Furthermore, "If you just want to get the news of httpd *ONLY*,
>please subscribe to announce@httpd.apache.org. Over
>17770 subscribers to announce@httpd.apache.org might be
>waiting your subscription!"

Agreed, if they want to see only their favorite project's releases, this
is sage advice.

Please do *not* consider requests to respect announce@ bandwidth
as a slight against your efforts or your results.  The idea and it's
execution is fantastic.  Thank you for riding the PMCs to get articles
to you.  Before you stepped up, this was a significant void in the ASF
and the only thing that came close was the 'apache' forum on /.

Bill