Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Guido Wimmel <gu...@gmx.net> on 2018/05/29 18:36:03 UTC

JavaEE connection pool removeAbandoned setting

Hi,

the recommended JavaEE configuration example on
http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html#javaee-container
contains

<Resource ... removeAbandonedTimeout="20000" ... />

Is this intentional? Seems strange to me, as this setting is in seconds
(corresponding to more than 5 hours), according to
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jdbc-pool.html

Seems to have been introduced long ago in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-61 , which talks about
milliseconds.

Or do I overlook something here?

Cheers,
   Guido

Re: JavaEE connection pool removeAbandoned setting

Posted by Guido Wimmel <gu...@gmx.net>.
done (already last Sunday). The generated reference guide was updated as
expected.

Cheers, Guido

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> On 31/05/2018 19:30, Guido Wimmel wrote:
>> Hi Francesco,

>>> Hi Guido,
>>> it seems you're right.
>>>
>>> I would say that we should replace 20000 with 20.
>>> (I must admit that since when we introduced HikariCP I am not
>>> regularly using the Tomcat DBCP, not even in production).
>>>
>>> Would you like to take care of such change both in
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run+Syncope+in+real+environments#RunSyncopeinrealenvironments-context.xml
>>>

>>> and
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/2_0_X/src/main/asciidoc/reference-guide/workingwithapachesyncope/systemadministration/javaeecontainer.adoc
>>>

>>> ?
>>> Regards.
>>
>> Sure, I can make the changes.
>> Default in Tomcat is 60. 20 might also be appropriate as a
>> recommendation if there are no long running queries.
>>
>> To be sure: the change in git should really be in the 2_0_X branch of
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope.git , right?
>
> Correct: I tend to provide GitHub links because the content looks more
> appealing and navigable in the browser, but as we don't (currently?)
> use gitbox [1], we push to git-wip-us.apache.org and github gets
> updated too.
>
> Once committed to the 2_0_X branch, you could cherry-pick that commit
> to the master branch.
>
> At that point, you might want to have
>
> * https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/2_0_X/reference-guide.html
> * https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/master/reference-guide.html
>
> updated: if so, either wait for about 24 hours, or join IRC [2] and
> send the following messages:
>
> * syncope-bot: force build syncope-2_0_X-docs
> * syncope-bot: force build syncope-master-docs
>
>> Any requirements on the commit message?
>
> Just use your illusion :-)
>
>> For the Wiki change I'd need change permission (Username: wimmelg).
>
> I have just granted all permissions to your user.

Thanks Guido,
both the wiki page and the reference guide is now updated -  see

https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/2_0_X/reference-guide.html#apache-tomcat-8-and-8-5

Regards.

> [1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf

Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: JavaEE connection pool removeAbandoned setting

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guido Wimmel <gu...@wimmel.net>.
Hi Francesco,

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope.git , right? Any