Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stuart Celarier <SC...@corillian.com> on 2006/06/08 12:58:18 UTC

Windows Active Directory authentication (was: Look for help on windows server platform)

Eric wrote:

>I am using windows AD authentication. Anyone using AD authentication
here?
>Any problem so far?

Originally, no. However we upgraded the Subversion server to 1.3.1; then
with the 1.3.1 client we're having authorization problems which we do
not have using the 1.2.3 client with the same server. We had some
breakthroughs in analyzing the problem yesterday, but haven't yet posted
our findings here.

So tentatively (my notes are at the office, so this is from memory : ),
the Subversion 1.3.1 client uses Neon 0.25.5, and the server is using
NTLM authentication based on the Windows user. The Subversion 1.2.3
client, and TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 client, use Neon 0.25.4, and the server
uses basic authentication -- and they work fine. (Hope I've remembered
the version info correctly.)

One problem with the NTLM auth is that the user may present the username
credential as xyz\johndoe. The AD entry is really XYZ\JohnDoe, and AD is
case insensitive. But the NTLM token from AD seems to have the
XYZ\JohnDoe username in it, and Subversion seems to be using that
username from the NTML token when authorizing, not the username as
presented to authentication. The authorization operation is case
sensitive, so the user gets a 403 error.

There is a related issue that the NTLM authentication based on the
Windows user is taking precedence over the svn --username switch,
providing different behavior between the svn 1.2.3 and 1.3.1 clients. We
can force svn 1.3.1 to use a different user with the runas command, but
--username is ineffective.

Our interim solution has been to continue using the svn 1.2.3 client and
the new TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 client. We expect to know more shortly.

Stuart Celarier | Corillian Corporation

Re: Windows Active Directory authentication (was: Look for help on windows server platform)

Posted by steveking <st...@gmx.ch>.
Stuart Celarier wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> I am using windows AD authentication. Anyone using AD authentication
> here?
>> Any problem so far?
>
> Originally, no. However we upgraded the Subversion server to 1.3.1; then
> with the 1.3.1 client we're having authorization problems which we do
> not have using the 1.2.3 client with the same server. We had some
> breakthroughs in analyzing the problem yesterday, but haven't yet posted
> our findings here.

No need to. If you search the dev archives, you will find a post from me
explaining why you have problems.

> So tentatively (my notes are at the office, so this is from memory : ),
> the Subversion 1.3.1 client uses Neon 0.25.5, and the server is using
> NTLM authentication based on the Windows user. The Subversion 1.2.3
> client, and TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 client, use Neon 0.25.4, and the server
> uses basic authentication -- and they work fine. (Hope I've remembered
> the version info correctly.)

Nothing to do with the neon version. The problem is how it is compiled.
Subversion 1.3.x compiles neon with SSPI auth enabled, while TSVN does not.

> One problem with the NTLM auth is that the user may present the username
> credential as xyz\johndoe. The AD entry is really XYZ\JohnDoe, and AD is
> case insensitive. But the NTLM token from AD seems to have the
> XYZ\JohnDoe username in it, and Subversion seems to be using that
> username from the NTML token when authorizing, not the username as
> presented to authentication. The authorization operation is case
> sensitive, so the user gets a 403 error.

That's one possible problem, yes.
But this problem would go away if you set up the authorization file with
the uppercase letters.

> There is a related issue that the NTLM authentication based on the
> Windows user is taking precedence over the svn --username switch,
> providing different behavior between the svn 1.2.3 and 1.3.1 clients. We
> can force svn 1.3.1 to use a different user with the runas command, but
> --username is ineffective.
>
> Our interim solution has been to continue using the svn 1.2.3 client and
> the new TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 client. We expect to know more shortly.

You must disable the GUEST account on your domain server. As long as
that account is active, SSPI will *always* authenticate with that
account. So, the _authentication_ will succeed, but then later the
_authorization_ fails (unless of course you happen to give that user
read/write access to the repository, which I really doubt).
Since the authentication succeeds, neon won't 'fall back' to basic
authentication (why should it? Neon doesn't know about authorization,
and its job of authentication is done successfully).

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: Windows Active Directory authentication (was: Look for help on windows server platform)

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.
consider switching toSSPI for authentication .. of course usernames will
change to their respective UPN (userid@AD.REALM) however its more integrated
with Neon 0.25.x on wards. Caveat, Neon only provides SSPI for https
transports. Please check changelog for NEON.

TortoiseSVN 1.3.x seem to disable SSPI (GSSAPI) hence difference in
behaviour for SVN command line client & TSVN.

..Shirish

Posted by ls...@kwsoft.de.
Zitat von Stuart Celarier <SC...@corillian.com>:

> Eric wrote:
>
>> I am using windows AD authentication. Anyone using AD authentication
> here?
>> Any problem so far?
>
> Originally, no. However we upgraded the Subversion server to 1.3.1; then
> with the 1.3.1 client we're having authorization problems which we do
> not have using the 1.2.3 client with the same server. We had some
> breakthroughs in analyzing the problem yesterday, but haven't yet posted
> our findings here.

Sorry to jump in. Is there any documentation how the authentication
against Windows AD is done. Are you using Apache or svnserve??
We are looking for this topic to get a replacement for VSS.

Regards

Andreas