Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/09 19:15:18 UTC

Accepting a patch

What is the life cycle for accepting a patch. Is there a feed back about
the submitted code ?
How long the whole process will it take?

Re: Accepting a patch

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Brian,
My apologies. I gave you the link for another fix. This is the one I
should have pasted:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2418

Re: Accepting a patch

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.

Brian Minchau wrote:
> Do you have particular patches attached to JIRA issues that are just
> sitting there?  Write back on which ones.  ("the squeeky wheel gets the
> grease").
>
> Of course in the long term, the more one is involved (patches, comments
on
> issues, answers in the mailing list), the more one has a chance be become
> committer and push things forward (you just can't review your own
patches).

> - Brian
>

>              Mansour

>              <mansour77@yahoo.

>              com>
>                                        xalan-dev@xml.apache.org

>              02/09/2008 02:57
cc
>              PM

Subject

Re: Accepting a patch

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Brian:

Re: Accepting a patch

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.

Brian Minchau wrote:
> The life cyle for a patch is this:
> 1) Open a JIRA issue at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
> against the appropriate project (XalanJ2 or XalanC)
> 2) Besides describing the problem, also attach the patch, be sure to
check
> the box that gives Apache the license rights, or else we are dead in the
> water on using it.
> 3) A Xalan committer (someone with write access to the code base) needs
> review/approve the patch and adds such comments to the issue, and a
> commiter (probably the same person) would commit the changes to the code
> base.
> 4) The changes are available via extraction of the main branch in SVN and
> you can build the binaries yourself, or you can wait for the next
release.

> If your patch gets some attention the life cycle would be a few weeks. Of
> course the time to a new release is longer than that (6 months?  A year?)
>
> On step 3, you may be wondering when one would attach a file and not give
> Apache the rights. This may be a testcase, which would help in finding a
> fix to a problem, yet not be code that you want Apache to include or use
in
> other ways.
>
> - Brian
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -