Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2011/07/22 05:10:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] : Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status

There are 20 Initial Committers on the OpenOffice.org incubator proposal who have not yet submitted iCLAs or informed us of their intention not to do so.

Today I used the following format for a message to one of those Initial Committers.

Before 19 more of these are sent out I wanted to check how understandable this is.

I am particularly concerned for how clear this is for those who are not native English speakers.

I welcome your advice.

 - Dennis

*** specimen message ***

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I found the answer to this but I couldn't find this message in the stack!

I checked the subscribers to ooo-dev as of 2011-07-24.

I could only match two of the ooo-dev subscribers to Initial Committers whose iCLAs had not been received by that date.

There might be a handful more that are on ooo-dev with a different e-mail address than the one on the incubator proposal.

 - Dennis

> There are 20 Initial Committers on the OpenOffice.org incubator proposal who have not yet submitted iCLAs or informed us of their intention not to do so.
>
> Today I used the following format for a message to one of those Initial Committers.
>
> Before 19 more of these are sent out I wanted to check how understandable this is.

Dennis, looking at the 19 who have not responded and the subscribers
to the list, do you have a sense of how many fit into these
categories:

1) Never showed up at all.  No iCLA, not subscribed to ooo-dev, heard
nothing from them at all?

2) Signed up on the list, but inactive

3) Signed up and active on the list.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Stephan Bergmann <
stephan.bergmann.secondary@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2011, at 5:10 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> > If you do not choose to submit an iCLA, please report your decision to <
> ooo-private@incubator.apache.org>.  We will then know not wait for it.
> >
> > If you are submitting an iCLA, please report your decision to
> ooo-private@incubator.apache.org and indicate how much time you need
> before the iCLA will be sent to Apache.
>
> I would rephrase the beginnings of those two paragraphs as "If you choose
> not to submit an iCLA, …" and "Otherwise, if you do intend to submit an
> iCLA, …," respectively.  (And "not wait for it" lacks a "to.")

with this proposed changes it sounds good and it is fine to contact the
initial committers who haven't shown up so far.

Juergen

Posted by Stephan Bergmann <st...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Your proposal doesn't say how long we will wait. IMHO we should define a
deadline when the status as "initial committer" is no longer given.

Maybe end of July is too short but in any case it should be end of
August. Then the people had 3 months time to say anything. This should
cover any vacation time.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/23/2011 05:11 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jul 23, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <de...@acm.org>  wrote:
>>> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door open, no questions asked?  Why?
>>>

>> I was thinking September 15th.
>
> +1 - That's about 3 months since the start.

OK, to come to a deadline: +1

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 23, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door open, no questions asked?  Why?
>>

> I was thinking September 15th.

+1 - That's about 3 months since the start.

Regards,
Dave

Re: RE: [DISCUSS] : Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door open, no questions asked?  Why?

I was thinking September 15th.  If we have not heard at all from

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/23/2011 06:29 PM, schrieb IngridvdM:
> Please find my comments inline.
>
> Am 23.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>> I think Christian is right. It's about to close the gate for being a
>> *initial* committer. Not the *normal* committer status.
>>
> I don't have gotten that wrong. I was talking about the initial
> committers too.
>
>> And for this we have to define a deadline. My suggestion is still end of
>> July or latestly end of August.
>>
> No given reason has convinced me of the necessity of a deadline here.

But I don't see an argument to keep the door open endlessly. At some
point in time the inital thing is done and over. Or do you think
different? ;-)

Marcus

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
IngridvdM wrote on Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 20:04:54 +0200:
> Am 24.07.2011 18:41, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> >>>
> >>Ok, that was quite unexpected to me. But in another thread I have
> >>learned now that this is done because of security reasons. I think
> >>that is a good reason also!
> >>

> >I don't see what security is achieved here.
> >
> Prevent misuse of unattended accounts I believe.
> Isn't this the case?

That depends on how you track emeritus status --- within the project, or
also by removing people from the ooo and/or ooo-pmc groups in the authz
file when they turn emeritus.

Re: [DISCUSS] : Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Am 24.07.2011 18:41, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> IngridvdM wrote on Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:02:00 +0200:
>> Am 23.07.2011 23:47, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>>> (with my mentors hat)
>>>
>>> On 23 July 2011 22:08, IngridvdM<In...@gmx-topmail.de>   wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Then when they return to their email they can make a case to the
>>> (P)PMC who can vote according to the normal rules of engagement. There
>>> is no need to keep the existing invitation open indefinitely and thus
>>> causing work for people trying to track this.
>>>

>> Reducing the workload is indeed a good reason for a deadline. Thanks
>> for pointing to this Ross! I somehow had thought it would be exactly
>> the opposite, that having this deadline would cause more work, but I
>> now think that I was wrong with that assumption.
>> So this feels like consensus now. :-)
>>
>> Dennis, please accept my apologies that I haven't seen this clearer
>> before. I hope I am still allowed to suggest to add this rationale
>> to the reminder mail. An important principle of change acceptance is
>> to describe the reasons to the people. I really think that this
>> would be helpful.
>>
>> A concrete suggestion:
>> Replace the sentence "We will then know not wait for it."
>> with
>> "We will then no longer need to track your status and will not send
>> further reminder mails to you."
>>
>> Would that make sense?
>>

> Are you intending for their status to be "A standing invitation" or "An
> expired invitation" (to become a committer)?

I have had concerns with a deadline as long as there wasn't a satisfying
reason that could be given to the affected people. Reducing the workload
in the project is now identified as a good enough reason for that
deadline in my opinion. So I am ok with withdrawing the invitation after
a generous time with giving a notice before and with giving this kind
reason. That really should not upset anyone accidentally.

>> [...]
>>>
>>> It is common practice for Apache projects to periodically clear out
>>> their committer lists. People who are no longer active on a project
>>> are, in many projects, routinely moved to emeritus status. It is
>>> entirely possible that this project will opt to do the same at some
>>> point in the future (note committers who are moved to emeritus need
>>> only ask to have their commit privileges returned).
>>>
>> Ok, that was quite unexpected to me. But in another thread I have
>> learned now that this is done because of security reasons. I think
>> that is a good reason also!
>>

> I don't see what security is achieved here.

Prevent misuse of unattended accounts I believe.
Isn't this the case?

Kind regards,
Ingrid

Re: [DISCUSS] : Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Your rewording is fine with me.  Thanks.

And thank you for the discussion.  It is important to explore all of the concerns that arise around the Initial Committer situation that we have.

 - Dennis

Am 23.07.2011 23:47, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> (with my mentors hat)
>
> On 23 July 2011 22:08, IngridvdM<In...@gmx-topmail.de>  wrote:
[...]
>> people might be ill, people might be on a journey around the
>> world.
>
> Then when they return to their email they can make a case to the
> (P)PMC who can vote according to the normal rules of engagement. There
> is no need to keep the existing invitation open indefinitely and thus
> causing work for people trying to track this.

Reducing the workload is indeed a good reason for a deadline. Thanks for
pointing to this Ross! I somehow had thought it would be exactly the
opposite, that having this deadline would cause more work, but I now
think that I was wrong with that assumption.
So this feels like consensus now. :-)

Dennis, please accept my apologies that I haven't seen this clearer
before. I hope I am still allowed to suggest to add this rationale to
the reminder mail. An important principle of change acceptance is to
describe the reasons to the people. I really think that this would be
helpful.

A concrete suggestion:
Replace the sentence "We will then know not wait for it."
with
"We will then no longer need to track your status and will not send
further reminder mails to you."

Would that make sense?

[...]
>> Would you suggest to withdraw committer status if a committer is off for 1
>> months, two months, a year?
>
> It is common practice for Apache projects to periodically clear out
> their committer lists. People who are no longer active on a project
> are, in many projects, routinely moved to emeritus status. It is
> entirely possible that this project will opt to do the same at some
> point in the future (note committers who are moved to emeritus need
> only ask to have their commit privileges returned).

Ok, that was quite unexpected to me. But in another thread I have
learned now that this is done because of security reasons. I think that
is a good reason also!

I feel the rules that are in place at Apache are very good ones, as they
have been established with long experience and with good reasons.
Important is to get also those reasons over to the people I think.

So thanks a lot Dennis, Ross and Shane for helping to understand here!

Kind regards,
Ingrid

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
(with my mentors hat)

On 23 July 2011 22:08, IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Am 23.07.2011 21:35, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:

>> If that was you, what would you be holding onto by wanting that invitation
>> to be permanent without taking the steps that go with accepting it?
>>
> I simply see no reason to shut the door.

Being a member of an ASF project community is open to anyone. Being a
committer is a privilege, not a right. It is a privilege that is
bestowed by the existing (P)PMC members in recognition of
contributions to the project. The door to community engagement is
never closed but the door to a privileged position is one that only
opens in response to active and constructive engagement.

> People might be in the middle of
> paper work,

Then they can say so and the door should be left open. How long for is
another question altogether.

> people might be ill, people might be on a journey around the
> world.

Then when they return to their email they can make a case to the
(P)PMC who can vote according to the normal rules of engagement. There
is no need to keep the existing invitation open indefinitely and thus
causing work for people trying to track this.

> You also may have send the invitation to the wrong mail.

It should not be the responsibility of the volunteers here on the
(P)PMC to chase down those who claim to be willing to contribute
constructively to the project but are unable to read this list.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
With regard to e-mail addresses, we use those on the proposal Initial Committers list.  We have no others.  I had a copy of the list that was used for the 6/23 follow-up and we found that two bounced because I had transcribed them incorrectly. Those were corrected and the follow-up resent.  I am not aware of any others being returned.

Also, when someone records a different e-mail address in there iCLA, it slows things down because the e-mail address is the basic means we have for confirming identity.  That has not become an issue that couldn't be resolved so far.  If the name on the iCLA is too different, that will be a problem as well, of course.

About people responding to our enquiries:  Of course circumstances intervene on estimates and declarations of intentions.  All it takes is being in communication to deal with such matters.

 - Dennis

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Here is what I propose based on the discussion so far:

 1. Make the modifications to the message already proposed, but without addition of any kind of deadline.  Simply request their intentions to file an iCLA (and by when) or not.  I do want to be gracious and accept that there may be many difficulties in understanding and in execution.

 2. Not take any action on that message until after 2011-07-27 when I will have returned from OSCON and can review further discussion on this list.  I would like to send the message by 2011-07-29.

 3. On 2011-08-18, send all of those who have not responded at all a message saying that the time limit for their responding is 2011-09-15 and if there has been no response, the invitation to serve as an Initial Committer will be withdrawn.  They can of course join ooo-dev and contribute in any manner they choose at any time.

  - Dennis

RATIONALE:

Initial Committer status is the exception, not the rule.

It was also exceptional that the OpenOffice.org proposal accepted anyone who added their name to the proposal wiki page as an Initial Committer.

We want to move from the initial bootstrap to operating as a regular podling and PPMC, first to operate smoothly and secondly to qualify for graduation to a full Top-Level Project (TLP) and PPMC.

We have 20 people on the Initial Committer list who did not show up and that have not responded since reminded of their opportunity on June 23.

The *only* time limit I believe we are discussing are any of those who are non-responsive to the next e-mail reminder and request for their intentions.  For those who do respond, what we do will depend on their response. I, for one, want to support them any way we can to establish themselves as committers if that is their desire.

I don't know what to do about language issues.  I reviewed the list and there are at least five different languages represented, perhaps more.  The best we could do for that is provide the English text followed by a translation into a language that the recipient might be more comfortable with.  That leaves open the question of how comfortable will they be as committers and PPMC members where the working language is only English.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
(<project mentor hat> - note that Ross Gardler has some good comments in
this thread as well)

On 7/23/2011 1:45 PM, IngridvdM wrote:
> Am 23.07.2011 18:51, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2011, at 9:29 AM, IngridvdM wrote:
>>
>>> Please find my comments inline.
>>>
>>> Am 23.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> [...]
>>>>
>>> No given reason has convinced me of the necessity of a deadline here.
>>
>> While there is ample reason to have a generous deadline, I haven't
>> heard a good reason not to have a deadline.
>>
> In general one can avoid a lot of unnecessary work while doing only
> those things where is a good reason to do them.
> In contrast doing all things where is no good reason against leaves one
> with a lot more todos ;-)
> Really this argument is about not becoming too bureaucratic.

The steps to accept the initial committer invitation are fairly simple.
  They're also fundamentally important to be able to participate in this
project as a committer.  If someone gets in touch with the PPMC and asks
for an extension so they can (finish vacation | check with laywer |
whatever), then I'd suggest being lenient and working with them.  If
someone hasn't even contacted us back, I have little patience for them,
nor much expectation that they're truly interested in helping.

> But my other argument is that I feel it is socially alienating if we are
> threatening people with deadlines without giving them a reason for it.
> My impression was that Wolf Halton has felt the same. He has asked for a
> reason, but not gotten an answer yet.

The Apache Way is that the community of active and productive
committers/PPMC members of this podling run this podling (project).
Ignoring the simple steps to accept an initial committer invitation says
to me that the person is not interested in being active or productive
within this community.

I don't know how to say this as politely as I'd like to be able to say
it, but this is a crucial point: this list is dedicated to the community
that is building the Apache OpenOffice podling.  This is a new project
and community, distinct from - and highly likely to be different from -
the previous OpenOffice.org project and community.

To be successful we absolutely need to understand the community methods
used in the previous project, and consider which of them make sense to
adopt here.  But we also need to ensure that potential contributors
understand that this is a separate project, and community norms and
rules from OpenOffice.org will not necessarily be carried forward to
Apache OpenOffice.

> So in the end I think those who are voting for a deadline need to
> provide a good reasons to do so.

Given that August is often for vacations, I'd be happy with the proposed
deadline of 15-Sept as proposed elsewhere on this thread.  Personally, I
cannot see the need to extend that deadline any further for initial
committers unless specific individuals request an extension for some
concrete reason.

Note that I would also suggest simply calling everyone committers (or
invited committers), and not emphasize any difference between those in
the original proposal list and those who are voted on by the PPMC.

- Shane

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/23/2011 06:51 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jul 23, 2011, at 9:29 AM, IngridvdM wrote:
>
>> Please find my comments inline.
>>
>> Am 23.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>>> I think Christian is right. It's about to close the gate for being a
>>> *initial* committer. Not the *normal* committer status.
>>>
>> I don't have gotten that wrong. I was talking about the initial committers too.
>>
>>> And for this we have to define a deadline. My suggestion is still end of
>>> July or latestly end of August.
>>>
>> No given reason has convinced me of the necessity of a deadline here.
>
> While there is ample reason to have a generous deadline, I haven't heard a good reason not to have a deadline.
>
>>> When you have entered your name on the list on the beginning and haven't
>>> answered back until today (even not to say "sorry, I need a bit more
>>> time"), then IMHO it's time for a deadline.
>
> Maybe if we were able to understand why some of these individuals have delayed it would help.

I know what you mean but when they haven't shown up here until today,
IMHO they also won't answer to tell us why not. ;-)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi Ingrid, *,

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Hi Dennis,

I disagree with you in the opinion that the door needs to be closed some
day and that people need to be sorted out. This can easily be felt to be
very alienating, without any positive effect.

Lets choose the example that an initial commiter signs up the iCLA only
next year. The reasons are pointless. Important is that there is no harm
in doing so! The ones that have signed the iCLA can simply fully work
already. Those who have not signed the iCLA can contribute via mail and
the user wiki.

So lets not waste our time with processes to prevent something that is
of no harm.

And let me say again I like the rest of your friendly reminder mail :-)

Kind regards,
Ingrid

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 22:45 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door open, no questions asked?  Why?

Til July 31, because it's long enough in a completely arbitrary way.
Those dedicated to OOo and who have no problem signing the ICLA would
have done it by now in other than exceptional circumstances.  And as you
say it doesn't prevent them being invited to be comitters or on the PPMC
at a later date.

> Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and members of the PPMC without being here and demonstrating commitment through their contributions.  It is not even a matter of them being voted in based on existing reputation.  (I'm one of those myself.)
>
> At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers and working toward a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is possible that the PPMC will also shrink if those who are already on it do not eventually demonstrate a commitment that would have qualified them in the ordinary way.
>
> At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not shown up become a point too far.  In this case, we are talking about folks who have not submitted an iCLA and not responded to requests to submit them and, as far as I know, have not appeared on ooo-dev.  Even if we withdraw the Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is no barrier to becoming a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project.  It's not fatal.
>
> I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they intend to submit an iCLA and how much time they want to do that.  It is a simple request.  There are any number of possible responses.  I assume we will deal with the responses on an individual basis.  If they do not intend to submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have to be expecting them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.
>
> My goal is having them show up.  And if they are not going to show up, I would like to know that.  Then we can tell when we have a full roster of Initial Committers that are ready and willing as they signaled they were.
>
>  - Dennis

The Apache way is about lazy consensus, Yes?  Then lets work on a "lazy
consent", simply add the tag that outlines as above in brief:

"We thank you for your early support. We now have a working compliment
of PPMC members from the initial committers.  If you don't feel the need
to be on the PPMC or be a committer at this time, simply don't present
your ICLA before 31 July and you'll hear no more from us and we will
take that as read.  Of course this does not prevent you from becoming a
committer or being invited onto the PPMC at a later date."

Or something of that nature

Cheers
GL

Fwd: Re: RE: RE: [DISCUSS] : Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
So it is sort of an invisible line. The way you are framing the issue, and
the work you have done to help the initial committers has already convinced
me there must be a time limit. I want us all to be able to move on as well.
I would suggest year-end as the purge point for non-responders. It is 2x the
time anyone would need to have, so it is generous to a fault, however it
puts a closure to the issue. I would suggest you send your reminder now and
another final one early december. I will help, if you want. I am not just
suggesting more work for others. :-)

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Juan C. Sanz" <ju...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Hi Dennis,

I would suggest to do a bit less bureaucracy and delete the following
sentence:
'If you are submitting an iCLA, please report your decision to
ooo-private@incubator.apache.org and indicate how much time you need
before the iCLA will be sent to Apache.'

I cannot see a good reason to force the decision for the remaining
initial committers. Likewise, what would the time estimation be good
for? In case someone needs to take legal advice, time estimations are
difficult anyhow.

Just kindly remind and invite them.

Rest is fine for me.

Thanks for proposing the reminder mail!