Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com> on 2002/07/09 19:13:52 UTC

HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Got your attention - good.

In 2.1 flavor of TDK the ServletInfo.vm outputs:

Servlet Info: $serverName

I am having a similar behavior with a .vm and class of my own.  This bug
has been reported at least 3 times on the listserv and NEVER answered.
 What gives?  I've tried everything I can think of.  This should be
trivial.  The following code works:

set( $test = "yes" )
Is Velocity Working? $test<br>

outputs:

Is Velocity Working? yes

LET ME REPEAT - I AM TOTALLY DEAD IN THE WATER.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Re: Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by po...@maikschulz.de.
Don't feel stupid, I just barely mastered it myself after long hours ;-)

Attempt at explanation: SecureScreen is derived from
VelocitySecureScreen. The latter calls the isAuthorized method and if
and only if it receives the return value 'true' it calls the
doBuildTemplate method. So your method was never called in the first
place and the context variables could not get set.

Take care,
-Maik

Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com>.
Maik,

post@maikschulz.de wrote:

>You didn't modify SecureScreen.java, did you?
>
>Anyways, try changing the parent of ServletInfo to
>org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.VelocityScreen instead of
>SecureScreen.
>
>-Maik (puzzled)
>
>Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com> schrieb am 10.07.2002, 00:09:51:
>
>>Maik,
>>
>>I added the lines, stopped catalina, recompiled, started catalina and
>>CANNOT find any trace of "Here I am" in either the velocity.log nor the
>>turbine.log.  I'm sure this is something silly (and I'll be very
>>embarrased when it is all over).
>>
>>Thanks for your continued assistance,
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>post@maikschulz.de wrote:
>>
>>>Try logging from ServletInfo.java:
>>>
>>>add the line
>>>
>>>import org.apache.turbine.util.Log;
>>>
>>>to the imports and as first line in the method:
>>>
>>>Log.info("system", "Here I am");
>>>
>>>Still trying to find out if your class is being used at all...
>>>
>>>Bye,
>>>-Maik

>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>

>>--

Re: Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by po...@maikschulz.de.

Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com>.
Maik,

post@maikschulz.de wrote:

>Try logging from ServletInfo.java:
>
>add the line
>
>import org.apache.turbine.util.Log;
>
>to the imports and as first line in the method:
>
>Log.info("system", "Here I am");
>
>Still trying to find out if your class is being used at all...
>
>Bye,
>-Maik
>
>Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com> schrieb am 09.07.2002, 23:26:44:
>
>>it is:
>>
>>package vstreet.turbine.myapp.modules.screens;
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>post@maikschulz.de wrote:
>>
>>>Dan,
>>>
>>>what is the first line of your ServletInfo.java? It should read
>>>
>>>package vstreet.turbine.myapp.modules.screens;
>>>
>>>Bye,
>>>-Maik

>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>

>>--

Re: Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by po...@maikschulz.de.

Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com>.
it is:

post@maikschulz.de wrote:

>Dan,
>
>what is the first line of your ServletInfo.java? It should read
>
>package vstreet.turbine.myapp.modules.screens;
>
>Bye,
>-Maik
>
>Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com> schrieb am 09.07.2002, 22:02:51:
>
>>Maik,
>>
>>No luck (frustrated gurgling noise #(*&#&(#@ ).
>>
>>My java files is:
>>
>>public class ServletInfo extends SecureScreen
>>{
>>    /**
>>     * Place all the data object in the context
>>     * for use in the template.
>>     */
>>    public void doBuildTemplate( RunData data, Context context )
>>    {
>>        context.put("fooValue", "a Fool");
>>        context.put("serverName", data.getRequest().getServerName());
>>//        context.put("serverName", TurbineServlet.getServerName());
>>    }
>>}
>>
>>My ServletInfo.vm is:
>>
>>Servlet Info:
>>
>>$serverName
>>
>>Foo Info: $fooValue
>>
>>Output is:
>>
>>Servlet Info: $serverName
>>Foo Info: $fooValue
>>
>>Velocity log shows:
>>
>>Tue Jul 09 12:58:20 PDT 2002   [warn]
>>org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference :
>>template = screens/ServletInfo.vm [line 3,column 1] : $serverName is not
>>a valid reference.
>>Tue Jul 09 12:58:20 PDT 2002   [warn]
>>org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference :
>>template = screens/ServletInfo.vm [line 5,column 14] : $fooValue is not
>>a valid reference.
>>
>>Dan
>>

>>post@maikschulz.de wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Dan,
>>>
>>>your setup is ok, I experience the same problem. Seems like the
>>>ServletService is not being initialized correctly (allthough it claims
>>>initialization in the log).
>>>
>>>If you change ServletInfo.java to use data.getRequest().getServerName()
>>>instead of TurbineServlet.getServerName() it works. It is really the
>>>same if you look at the Turbine 2.1 sources...
>>>
>>>Take care,
>>>-Maik

>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>

>>--

Re: Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by po...@maikschulz.de.

Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com>.
Maik,

post@maikschulz.de wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>
>your setup is ok, I experience the same problem. Seems like the
>ServletService is not being initialized correctly (allthough it claims
>initialization in the log).
>
>If you change ServletInfo.java to use data.getRequest().getServerName()
>instead of TurbineServlet.getServerName() it works. It is really the
>same if you look at the Turbine 2.1 sources...
>
>Take care,
>-Maik
>Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com> schrieb am 09.07.2002, 20:25:10:
>
>>Maik,
>>

>>Currently I've got:
>>
>>myapp\templates\app\screens\ServletInfo.vm
>>myapp\WEB-INF\classes\vstreet\turbine\myapp\modules\screens\ServletInfo.class
>>myapp\WEB-INF\src\java\vstreet\turbine\myapp\modules\screens\ServletInfo.java
>>
>>I have no idea what the "appropriate location" would be - this seems to
>>be the standard explained in the doco.
>>
>>Thanks for your assistance,
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>post@maikschulz.de wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Dan,

>>>The corresponding ServletInfo.java is not being found--it puts the
>>>variable "serverName" in the template's context.
>>>
>>>Copy the .java file to the appropriate location and modify the package
>>>name accordingly.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>-Maik
>>>
>>>--
>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>

>>--

Re: Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by po...@maikschulz.de.

Re: HELP I'M DROWNING!!!

Posted by Dan Robinson <dr...@dnai.com>.
Maik,

post@maikschulz.de wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>
>>In 2.1 flavor of TDK the ServletInfo.vm outputs:
>>
>>Servlet Info: $serverName
>>

>The corresponding ServletInfo.java is not being found--it puts the
>variable "serverName" in the template's context.
>
>Copy the .java file to the appropriate location and modify the package
>name accordingly.
>
>HTH,
>-Maik
>
>--