Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Glasser <gl...@mit.edu> on 2006/08/14 17:41:59 UTC

Documentation of what transaction properties do, and svn:date

Right now, it's not actually stated anywhere that transaction
properties become revision properties.  Attached are two flavors of a
patch to add that.

One of them just states that transaction properties become revision
properties; the other points out the caveat that svn:date is treated
specially and essentially cannot be set to something custom during a
commit.  This is currently undocumented behavior; in my opinion,
explicitly calling svn_fs_change_txn_prop(txn, "svn:date", date, pool)
should in fact allow you to set the svn:date prop to a value of your
choice.  (The only real problem I can see with this is that right now,
you need to activate revprop changes to allow svn:date to be set to
non-current times; if svn_fs_change_txn_prop actually did what it
looked like for svn:date, that wouldn't be the case.)

(A middle ground would be to say that non-svn: transaction properties
become revision properties, and that svn: transaction properties may
behave in an unspecified manner.)

--dave

[[[
* subversion/include/svn_fs.h:
   Document that transaction properties become revision properties.
]]]

--
David Glasser | glasser@mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Documentation of what transaction properties do, and svn:date

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
David Glasser wrote:
> Right now, it's not actually stated anywhere that transaction
> properties become revision properties.  Attached are two flavors of a
> patch to add that.
>
> One of them just states that transaction properties become revision
> properties; the other points out the caveat that svn:date is treated
> specially and essentially cannot be set to something custom during a
> commit.

I like the latter form.  And it doesn't bother me that it calls out svn:date
instead of simply saying that all svn: properties could have unexpected
behavior here.  We obviously don't think of our svn: properties as mere
implementation details -- users (and API hackers) are expected to know that
certain properties have certain meanings.

I've committed the with-date flavor in r21070.  Thanks.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>