Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <aw...@qosina.com> on 1995/10/13 21:15:54 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: "DBM Authentication w/o a group or with a DBM group" on Linux

No ack sent.... I'm not familiar with DBM, if someone else knows it
please sent a ACK to this request.

Thank you.
<Aram>

>From: mbrennen@fni.com
>To: awm@qosina.com
>Date: Fri Oct 13 13:14:30 1995
>Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "DBM Authentication w/o a group or with a DBM
group" on Linux

>Submitter: mbrennen@fni.com
>Operating system: Linux, version: 1.2.13
>Extra Modules used:
>URL exhibiting problem:
>
>Symptoms:
>--
>I'm using DBM auth on 8.14, and it is working with a standard group file.
If I try to run DBM auth without a group file (my preference), then httpd
cores.  If I try to run a DBM group file it cores also, but I may not have
the DBM group file set up correctly.  That is undocumented, or I have not
found it on the www.apache.org pages yet.  I tried creating a DBM group file
by using the group name as the password, as below; I have no idea if this is
correct.  I also added an entry with the group- and username reversed.
Neither worked; I didn't expect the latter to work.  dbmmanage grpfile
adduser username groupname   I am having trouble getting a core file, so I
have not been able to debug this.  With all this as a background, I have two
questions:  1. Does anyone have DBM auth running without a    group file?
As I understand it the group    file should not be necessary (certainly
shouldn't core!).  2. What is the method for building a DBM group    file?
Does the DBM gro!

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "DBM Authentication w/o a group or with a DBM group" on Linux

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
> I'm using DBM auth on 8.14, and it is working with a standard group file.
> If I try to run DBM auth without a group file (my preference), then httpd
> cores.

Try setting the AuthGroupFile to /dev/null.  Though yes, it would be "the
path of least astonishment" if AuthGroupFile was set to /dev/null by
default.

	Brian