Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Isaac XxX <vy...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/22 17:43:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Need advice to choose a configuration

Hi folks,

I have to move some sites (10) from virtual hosts to a single dedicated
machine. The number of sites will grow on time.

I've two ways to implement it:
1. set a single apache instance to serve all sites configuring a single
apache virtual host for each one
2. set some virtual servers (with xen for example) and install on each them
a single apache, serving one or few sites. The root partition could had a
single apache or nginx doing the load balance task. Of course, all virtual
servers will be on the same dedicated machine

Wich way you think is better? (performance, maintainment structure,
scalability...)

Thanks a lot

RE: [users@httpd] Need advice to choose a configuration

Posted by Geoff Millikan <gm...@t1shopper.com>.
> there are still a large number of "non modern" clients out there, including anyone
> using the default browser on an Android phone and anyone with any flavor of IE
> on WindowsXP....

Maybe it's marketing hype but commercial link below shows Subject Alternative Name certificates being supported since 2003 in
Internet Explorer (since Win98) as well as Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Netscape.  I have no experience w/SAN certs so cannot vouch
for this.  YMMV.

http://www.digicert.com/subject-alternative-name-compatibility.htm

Re: [users@httpd] Need advice to choose a configuration

Posted by "Macks, Aaron" <am...@harvardbusiness.org>.
there are still a large number of "non modern" clients out there, including anyone using the default browser on an Android phone and anyone with any flavor of IE on WindowsXP....

Aaron Macks
Sr. Unix Systems Engineer

Harvard Business Publishing
300 North Beacon St.    |   Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 783-7461                |   Fax: (617) 783-7467
www.harvardbusiness.org |   Cell:(978) 317-3614

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 05/22/2011 09:42 PM, Macks, Aaron wrote:
> the only reasons I'd possibly suggest #2 are:
> 1.  multiple SSL certs, it is still not easy to have multiple SSL certs on a single system, you either need to setup multiple IP addresses for that box or run on multiple virtualservers

All modern browsers now support Server Name Indication (SNI), which
allow you to run SSL vhosts.

> 2.  If you expect the business to get HUGE for some of the sites, then you can spin up more VServers for only the sites that need to handle more traffic... Then you're probably talking about dedicated loadbalancers and much more hardware anyway
>
> so barring those 2 conditions, I agree 100% with Jeroen that #1 is the way to go

> Aaron Macks
> Sr. Unix Systems Engineer
>
> Harvard Business Publishing
> 300 North Beacon St.    |   Watertown, MA 02472
> (617) 783-7461                |   Fax: (617) 783-7467
> www.harvardbusiness.org |   Cell:(978) 317-3614
>
> On May 22, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>
>> On 05/22/2011 05:43 PM, Isaac XxX wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have to move some sites (10) from virtual hosts to a single dedicated machine. The number of sites will grow on time.
>>>
>>> I've two ways to implement it:
>>> 1. set a single apache instance to serve all sites configuring a single apache virtual host for each one
>> Yes.
>>
>>> 2. set some virtual servers (with xen for example) and install on each them a single apache, serving one or few sites. The root partition could had a single apache or nginx doing the load balance task. Of course, all virtual servers will be on the same dedicated machine
>> This will consume much more resources.
>>
>>> Wich way you think is better? (performance, maintainment structure, scalability...)
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> --
>> J.

J.