Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/17 16:19:03 UTC

[GSoC] Congratulations and Wrap up

Hi,

This week end is the Google Summer of Code summit. This year we had the chance to get five students in the program: Dharmesh, Meng, Ian, Nguyen and Shiva and I'd be remiss not to acknowledge their hard work.

I would like to congratulate all of them on working hard this past summer (program finished late september), and challenging themselves to learn the open source way through our project at the Apache Software Foundation.

Thanks also to the mentors: Kelcey, Hugo and Abhi who took time out of their busy schedule and $dayjob to help these students.

-Ian Duffy made committer during the GSoC period, he developed a new LDAP/AD plugin and did an outstanding job doing his development in a complete software development pipeline with 90% unit test coverage, automatic building of rpms through jenkins etc. Check it out:
http://youtu.be/-3LG8wP7Zac
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Admin_Guide/LDAPserver-for-user-authentication.html
Lately Ian has worked with me on a Google compute engine (GCE) interface but this was not part of his charter for GSoC, just a bonus:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gcloud/0.0.1

-Nguyen worked on extending our GRE SDN controller to support Xen and KVM hypervisor.
All his code is in the sdnextensions branch, and once Hugo is done reviewing it (or any other volunteer), we will merge it for 4.3
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/sdnextensions;hb=sdnextensions
Nguyen has done a terrific job tracking his progress in JIRA and dividing work in sub-tasks:

Both Nguyen and Ian will be at the CCC conference in Amsterdam, Nguyen will talk about 'Autoscaling without netscaler' a patch he submitted recently, and Ian will talk about gcloud.

-Meng worked on integration of whirr in CloudStack. The goal was to be able to provision Hadoop clusters in an elastic manner and use Yarn to expose a map-reduce API compatible with AWS EMR. This was a very ambitious project that required learning whirr, working across projects at the ASF and learning how to create new APIs. Her final patch is on review board:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/14347/
This will need additional work and more architectural thinking before we can use it, but is a solid base to think through how to expose an AWS EMR api with CloudStack.

-Shiva worked on a new UI framework using bootstrap and angular.js, he progressed well and his code is now in master under tools/ngui , he also has a final patch in my inbox. Bad practice but review board is finicky with large patches :( This UI is very interesting because it can operate as standalone UI, meaning that you can run locally to manage your cloud remotely.

Unfortunately Dharmesh was busy and did not progress well enough to pass the mid-term mark, he did try to tackle the big task of moving us from com.cloud to org.apache:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-212 something that we still need to do and requires some planning/coordination and should be done very early in the release cycle (like now…)

Early on they all worked on a great document that is built on jenkins but not released as part of our docs, it served the purpose of getting everyone through the "bonding period" and have all students learn how to submit a patch:
http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/All/job/docs-4.3-gsoc-guide/
I will try to wrap it up to have a final version of our GSoC 2013 for Apache CloudStack.

Again congratulations to all, I am thrilled to have had you in the project and I hope you will continue participating in the community, we will hopefully do this again next year with another set of students.

Cheers,

-Sebastien

Re: [GSoC] Congratulations and Wrap up

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Thank you Sebastien and Abhi along with the Cloudstack Community for making
this opportunity possible.
It was a very interesting and educational experience.

I hope to keep up work with you guys. I will be a bit quieter on here due
to college work over the next few months.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in Amsterdam! :-)

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
I would like to thank Ian who did a fabulous job on ldap plugin and also
Sebastian who was always around to guide the students and mentors.
It would be good to see them at Amsterdam as I am also going to be around.

-abhi