Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by shucoshuco <fg...@hotmail.com> on 2010/07/06 14:43:39 UTC

Too many opened files with FOP in multithread

Hi everybody.

I have found the next issue working with FOP 0.94: I have a multithread
console application which starts 16 different threads. All those threads are
using FOP to generate a huge number of PDF files. After a few seconds
running, an exception is raised because there are too many opened files
(this happens in Solaris, but not in Windows). I ran lsof to point the
problem and I found that the program had opened each font file several times
(much more than 16, once a thread). I have custom fonts declared in the user
config file and it seems to be the problem.

Is there any way of closing this files for each execution? The only way I've
realised was to call the garbage collector but that decreases the
performance a lot. Shall I configure better the FOP, extend some class...?

This works fine in previous version (0.20.5) and, in fact, it was really
quickly.

Thanks a lot.

Félix.

Re: Too many opened files with FOP in multithread

Posted by shucoshuco <fg...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you for your reply.

I've tried with 0.95 and it seems to fix the problem. I was using 0.94
because it was the installed version in our servers but I don't think I have
problem to upgrade.

Thanks so much.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you're in the process of integrating FOP 0.94, why not upgrade to
0.95 directly? 0.95 already had quite some improvements in the font area.
I'm not sure but maybe that problem doesn't arise with 0.95.

On 06.07.2010 14:43:39 shucoshuco wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I have found the next issue working with FOP 0.94: I have a multithread
> console application which starts 16 different threads. All those threads are
> using FOP to generate a huge number of PDF files. After a few seconds
> running, an exception is raised because there are too many opened files
> (this happens in Solaris, but not in Windows). I ran lsof to point the
> problem and I found that the program had opened each font file several times
> (much more than 16, once a thread). I have custom fonts declared in the user
> config file and it seems to be the problem.
>
> Is there any way of closing this files for each execution? The only way I've
> realised was to call the garbage collector but that decreases the
> performance a lot. Shall I configure better the FOP, extend some class...?
>
> This works fine in previous version (0.20.5) and, in fact, it was really
> quickly.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Félix.

Jeremias Maerki