Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2017/03/29 15:56:31 UTC

Tomcat 8.5 Java 9 compatibilty

Hi all,

I see a good bit of discussion regarding testing trunk with java 9,
are we planning to test 8.5 with java 9 also? I've executed the unit
tests for both and see that there are quite a few more failures on 8.5
than there are for trunk, so it seems that we've been fixing trunk but
not 8.5.

Thanks,
Coty

Re: Tomcat 8.5 Java 9 compatibilty

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 29/03/17 16:56, Coty Sutherland wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I see a good bit of discussion regarding testing trunk with java 9,
>> are we planning to test 8.5 with java 9 also? I've executed the unit
>> tests for both and see that there are quite a few more failures on 8.5
>> than there are for trunk, so it seems that we've been fixing trunk but
>> not 8.5.
>
> Correct.
>
> My thinking was that, while Java 9 was still only 'early access' and
> somewhat of a moving target, make the fixes in Tomcat 9 and back-port
> them to 8.5.x and 7.0.x (assuming 8.0.x is EOL by then) once Java 9 is
> released. My primary concern is I don't want to have to make breaking
> changes in 8.5.x and friends as Java 9 evolves. That is unlikely but not
> impossible.

That's what I was hoping for, thanks for confirming.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.