Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ramesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/18 18:50:22 UTC

[users@httpd] ldap error configuration error: couldn't check user. No user file?: /

 hello

I have the following in my httpd.conf file for a paritcular virtual host for
ldap authentication via my domain controller

I have modified the username and password for security reasons....

  <Location "/">

    AuthName "Protected Site"
    AuthType Basic

    AuthLDAPURL ldap://xxx.xxx.xxx:389/cn=xxxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxxxx?xxxxxx
    AuthLDAPBindDN  "cn=xxxxxx,cn=users,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxxx"
    AuthLDAPBindPassword "XXXXXXXX"
    AuthLDAPAuthoritative off
    require valid-user

    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
    order allow,deny
    allow from all

    SSLRequireSSL

  </Location>

i am testing this internally in our network but when i type the username and
password at the login prompt i get the following error message in my
error.log

[Tue Oct 17 11:54:42 2006] [crit] [client xxxxxxxx] configuration error:
couldn't check user.  No user file?: /

[Tue Oct 17 11:54:43 2006] [crit] [client xxxxxxx] configuration error:
couldn't check user.  No user file?: /favicon.ico

I don't not see any traffic on the firewall indicating that it is
communicating with the domain controller. I had the same configuration on a
FC2 box with apache 2.0 but the following started to occur when i upgraded
the box to FC5 with apace 2.2.  ldap is installed properly because i used
ldapsearch to perform a basic query against my domain controller which
returned results.

Please help !!! thanks a bunch

Re: [users@httpd] ldap error configuration error: couldn't check user. No user file?: /

Posted by Ramesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>.
hey Joshua,

Thanks for the pointing that out....I have to make sure to read the httpd
docs really slowly next time around.  Also i fixed the issue of it not
accepting my password,

i needed AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off.... instead of AuthLDAPAuthoritative off

thanks and cheers

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Ramesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>.
thanks joshua...

its weird how it worked for me on the FC2 box without that statement and
also the http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html does not
indicate anything about AuthBasicProvider.  I added the line above but it
keeps denying my username and password.  Any ideas?

thanks for your help i do see ldap traffic on the firewall now !!!!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.