Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Marc Labbe <mr...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/13 16:10:36 UTC

Kafka High CPU, 0.8.2.1 or openjdk?

Hi,

our cluster is deployed on AWS, we have brokers on r3.large instances, a
decent amount of topics+partitions (+600 partitions). We're not making that
many requests/sec, roughly 80 produce/sec and 240 fetch/sec (not counting
internal replication requests) and yet CPU hovers around 40%, which I
consider quite high given the nature of Kafka. I have worked on other
deployments not on AWS where we were getting much larger figures in
requests/sec, w/ much less CPU usage than that.

There are two things I consider trying to reduce that. The first one is
obviously using 0.8.2.1 though I am not sure how much the impact is. I also
found this thread from a while ago
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-users/201305.mbox/%3CEB51B84C-AD91-4A2F-B97D-5283EF079596@transpac.com%3E
about the use of the OpenJDK (which we're using, Ubuntu trusty's default)
vs Oracle JDK.

I am planning to do both anyways but I thought it'd be interesting to know
if anyone else has experienced that before. Is there any other tuning I
should think about?

thanks
marc

Re: Kafka High CPU, 0.8.2.1 or openjdk?

Posted by Marc Labbe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I'll start with that before changing my deployment for oracle jdk.

Posted by Mark Reddy <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,