Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2003/01/14 16:59:07 UTC

[OT] you tried xmlMind?

Dear All,

After a hard weeks work, I have finally got XMLMind working as a
WYSIWYG XML editor for our site content. Furthermore it has been
accepted by the client as the tool their content writers will use on
their LAN.

It's a blinding piece of software!!

If you have not seen it, check it out!
<http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/>

It uses a combination of it's own XML config, CSS and XSD/DTD to style
XML and enforce Schema validated editing. We have managed to make
editing views close enough (just) to the way they look in a browser.
You can add GUI widgets to add/insert/convert appropriately, it is very
adaptable, and has macros, custom commands and has a plugable API. CSS
support is not as complete as I'd like, but there are some very useful
extensions to it which come in handy for showing images, adding static
meta info etc.

Being based on standards means we will be able to port the editing to
other apps as they come along if we want to. I don't know of any other
standalone Apps that work the same way as XMLMind (yet!), but most of
the CSS and all of the XSD would be portable if you wanted to use Wyona
or BitFlux, I imagine.

XMLMind has a free and paid-for version. The free version has the
limitation that you can only edit documents that have a default
namespace in the "http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/schema/*" url space.
No great hardship for us, though it could be a nuisance for some.

I am using it on MacOSX, where it is pretty buggy, but then I am having
to use the Developer Preview v8 of Java 1.4.1 in which to run it.
XMLMind acknowledge the problems and say they take the platform
seriously ....

I have been waiting a long time to be able to work like this!

These types of editors are becoming a reality.

Maybe we should start contributing XSD etc. Schemas for the different
Cocoon document namespaces, like SQLTransformer,
SourceWritingTransformer etc. we are going to start needing them for
editors ;)

regards Jeremy

Re: [OT] you tried xmlMind?

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
<snip/>
>> Any interests in these xxe config files for document-v10
>> document typs?
>> Contributing to the cocoon src/resources/dev/xxe directory of Cocoon?
>

> +1. Check out also document.css in src/documentation/xdocs/css. I used
> it with a previous version of XXE.

ohh, just another hidden pearl in the cocoon!
it's great to find such treasures lying just around ... :-)

bernhard

Re: [OT] you tried xmlMind?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:

> hi,
>
>> I have been waiting a long time to be able to work like this!
>>
>> These types of editors are becoming a reality.
>
> I downloaded the standard edition, and managed to make
> it handle document-v10 cocoon documents.
>
> I'm impressed!
> And the spellchecker is quite helpful.
>
> Any interests in these xxe config files for document-v10
> document typs?
> Contributing to the cocoon src/resources/dev/xxe directory of Cocoon?

+1. Check out also document.css in src/documentation/xdocs/css. I used
it with a previous version of XXE.

Sylvain

Re: [OT] you tried xmlMind?

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003, at 20:56 Europe/London, Bernhard Huber
wrote:

> hi,
>> I have been waiting a long time to be able to work like this!
>> These types of editors are becoming a reality.
>
> I downloaded the standard edition, and managed to make
> it handle document-v10 cocoon documents.

Ah cool.

> I'm impressed!
> And the spellchecker is quite helpful.

Hee hee! ;)

> Any interests in these xxe config files for document-v10
> document typs?
> Contributing to the cocoon src/resources/dev/xxe directory of Cocoon?

You are taking this a bit further than I expected, though I think it is
a interesting idea. What worries me is the issue of having to use the
xmlmind.com default namespace in your documents, if you want to use the
free version. Do we want to start distributing documents in a alien
namespace with cocoon, considering xmlmind is not OS etc.?

>> Maybe we should start contributing XSD etc. Schemas for the different
>> Cocoon document namespaces, like SQLTransformer,
>> SourceWritingTransformer etc. we are going to start needing them for
>> editors ;)
> hmm, good idea...

Well, I expect to be writing xsd for the SQLTransformer's tagset, so I
can contribute that if there is interest.

> thanks for the hint!

my pleasure!

regards Jeremy

Re: [OT] you tried xmlMind?

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

> I have been waiting a long time to be able to work like this!
>
> These types of editors are becoming a reality.

I downloaded the standard edition, and managed to make
it handle document-v10 cocoon documents.

I'm impressed!
And the spellchecker is quite helpful.

Any interests in these xxe config files for document-v10
document typs?
Contributing to the cocoon src/resources/dev/xxe directory of Cocoon?

> Maybe we should start contributing XSD etc. Schemas for the different
> Cocoon document namespaces, like SQLTransformer,
> SourceWritingTransformer etc. we are going to start needing them for
> editors ;)
hmm, good idea...

thanks for the hint!
regards bernhard