Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net> on 2003/05/13 17:24:25 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] "Fake" virtual hosts

Lee Fellows wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 11:24, Dmitri Bichko wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to set up two instances of Apache on the same IP and on
>>the same port to handle requests to two different names?  In other
>>words, rather than having two virtual servers on the same instance
>>handling alias1.mydomain.com and alias2.mydomain.com, I want them to go
>>to two different servers - is this possible?
 >
>   (Assuming the same hardware) No.

I'll agree with Lee. Two processes can't bind to the same port. If you
involve a thrid process, you might be able to have it listen on 80, then
rewrite and proxy the requests to the 2nd and 3rd processes listening on
ports other than 80.

But I don't get why you'd want to do this. Unless you are trying to
seperate users (which suexec does pretty well), I've always been able to
configure virtual hosts to do anything I need.

--
Chris