Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net> on 2002/04/14 17:06:35 UTC

where is my cgi-bin

hi guys,
    am running apache 1.3.xx, i type 127.0.0.1 and it works properly, but
when i type 127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/ it gives me 404, why? i checked the
httpd.conf for the cgi-bin alias, and i think it is properly configured, the
other problem is when i type kill -HUP httpd, it give me 'no process to
kill'?
any idea?
thx

--
Hytham Shehab

RE: where is my cgi-bin

Posted by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp>.
Try and do a locate on "apachectl".  If you find it run apachectl
[-stop -start -restart -configtest -help] use one option listed.

Roger

Posted by bluejack <ma...@bluejack.com>.
4/16/02 4:21:50 AM, "Hytham Shehab" <hy...@menanet.net> wrote:

>hi all of you,
>    here is what i did:
>*)ps -ef|grep httpd ---> grep httpd
>*)ps -aux|grep httpd ---> grep httpd
>*)killall httpd    ---> no process to kill
>*)whereis apache  ---> /usr/lib/apache  /usr/include/apache
>*)then i try to execute it, guess what?, nothing there....
>and here is another puzzle:
>i tried to make a name based virtual host, foo.bar, i make its DocumentRoot
>directory to some dir, but when i type in Mozilla foo.bar, it gives me the
>same test page - Apache default test page -, but it never goes to the
>default directory or the default page i have created myself, any how, how
>can i uninstall apache from my system so i can try the apache 2 instead?

Quick question: if you can't find apache, how did you alter the
conf file?

Second quick question: you were doing all this as root, correct?

Previously you said you were running red hat. Apache was probably
installed during red hat installation, so:

$ rpm -q -a | grep apache

To find the exact package name.

$ rpm -e <package-name>

To uninstall.

But I caution that until you understand what you are doing, and why
it isn't working, upgrading is probably not your answer.

-bluejack

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------ *\
   | http://www.bluejack.com      ||     reviews of science fiction |
   |                              ||     record of the writing life |
\* ------------------------------------------------------------------ */

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Posted by bluejack <ma...@bluejack.com>.
4/15/02 10:29:56 AM, "Hytham Shehab" <hy...@menanet.net> wrote:

>not at all, since i installed RH 7.2, i didn't install any web server, but i
>have a source for the Apache 2, is it a good idea to install it over what i
>already have to see if the problem persist or not?

As root, do a 'ps -ef | grep httpd' to figure out what is running,
then. When you installed RH, it probably installed an apache,
which is what is currently running. You will want to KILL -TERM
that version, if there is one. If there isn't, I don't know
what's wrong.

-b

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------ *\

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Posted by bluejack <ma...@bluejack.com>.

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Re: where is my cgi-bin

Posted by bluejack <ma...@bluejack.com>.
4/14/02 8:06:35 AM, "Hytham Shehab" <hy...@menanet.net> wrote:

>    am running apache 1.3.xx, i type 127.0.0.1 and it works properly, but
>when i type 127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/ it gives me 404, why? i checked the
>httpd.conf for the cgi-bin alias, and i think it is properly configured, the
>other problem is when i type kill -HUP httpd, it give me 'no process to
>kill'?

Well, clearly Apache is running. (it works on the default file, it
delivers a 404 error.) Assuming you have made changes to the
conf file, but been unable to HUP the process since then, the
changes would not yet have taken effect. Use the proper restart
mechanism:

kill -HUP `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

Assuming that path is correct. If you installed somewhere else,
change the path accordingly.

Other things:

1) Please make sure that the actual directory exists. The configuration
   does need to map to a real directory.

2) cgi-bin typically does not permit directory listings, so once you
   have it properly configured, and the directory properly existing,
   you would expect to get a 403 error. You probably want to put a
   test cgi script in there, and test that, instead of just the
   directory.

-bluejack