Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Abdul Patel <ab...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/16 21:48:08 UTC

Cassandra downgrade version

Hi All,

I am.planning to upgrade my cassandra cluster from 3.1.0 to 3.11.2 . Just
in case if somethings goes back then do we have any rollback or downgrade
option in cassandra  to older/ previous version?

Thanks

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cassandra downgrade version

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.
On 04/19/2018 08:48 AM, Durity, Sean R wrote:
> So, the specific question here is whether there is any sstable format
> change between 3.1.0 and 3.11.2. I don’t know if there is.

Here's how to quickly test that:

git clone https://github.com/apache/cassandra.git
cd cassandra/

git checkout cassandra-3.1  #(there was no 3.1.0 release)
ant
./bin/cassandra
./tools/bin/cassandra-stress write n=10000
./bin/nodetool flush
ls -l data/data/keyspace1/standard1-*/

pkill -f java
git clean -xdf

git checkout cassandra-3.11.2
# and repeat the above build, start, stress, ls

https://paste.apache.org/I6dr

--
Michael

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cassandra downgrade version

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
The real way to know for sure is for someone to go look at the sstable format changelog, and I’m traveling so it won’t be me, but for the record:

If you snapshot everything, including system tables, you can always restore the snapshot - it’ll take downtime and you’ll lose data written after the snapshot, but that may be better than nothing

--
Jeff Jirsa

Posted by Lerh Chuan Low <le...@instaclustr.com>.