Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/07/14 16:53:24 UTC

JSON License

Thoughts on:
<snip>
Copyright (c) 2002 JSON.org
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
</snip>

While most of the license is BSD (I believe) the Good/Evil line in there is a bit weird.

Thanks,
Grant

Re: JSON License

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Garrett Rooney
<ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't see anything in that thread that says that Doug Crockford
>> agreed to relicense the code for us.  The closest I see is a statement
>> that he wants to work with us.
>>
>> I see Doug approximately every other month, and we have discussed this
>> numerous times since 2006.  I do not believe that he is willing to
>> relicense the code.
>
> If you go down to here:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/tgugrzi2unaowerh#query:abdera%20json%20license+page:1+mid:jfpwyxvm7pc2z5dz+state:results
>
> You'll see that Elias mentioned exchanging email with Doug about it.
> This resulted in him posting a zip with a differently licensed set of
> code, see here for a reference:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/tgugrzi2unaowerh#query:abdera%20json%20license+page:1+mid:tgugrzi2unaowerh+state:results
>
> The source appears to no longer live in its previous location, but at
> the time there was an AL licensed copy of the code sitting there on
> his site.
>
> -garrett

I can vouch for that as have downloaded and used the zip from that
location in the past and verified that the the "evil" bit had really
gone.

   ...ant

Re: JSON License

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: JSON License

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Garrett Rooney

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: JSON License

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Garrett Rooney
<ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Thoughts on:
>> <snip>
>> Copyright (c) 2002 JSON.org
>> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
>> of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to
>> deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
>> rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
>> sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
>> furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
>> all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>> The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil.
>> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
>> IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
>> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
>> AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
>> LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
>> FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
>> IN THE SOFTWARE.
>> </snip>
>> While most of the license is BSD (I believe) the Good/Evil line in there is
>> a bit weird.
>
> Just FYI we actually got a version of the JSON code relicensed without
> the Good/Evil bit for use in Abdera, so the author is willing to be
> flexible about it.

Got a pointer?  I've talked to the author on numerous occasions, and
my experience is that he has no interested in relaxing the license.
I'll be seeing him again at the end of this month.

In any case, see also:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json

Net: use with care.  The license is not open source, and may be
rejected by some conservative companies; not because they are evil,
but because clarity is important in a number of contexts (such as a
courtroom).

> -garrett

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License