Posted to announce@apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2010/11/01 07:05:52 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] James Server 3.0-M1 released

The Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server (a.k.a. Apache James) Project
is happy to announce the release of version 3.0-M1 (Milestone 1) of
the Apache James server.

The Apache James Server is a 100% pure Java enterprise mail server
based on open protocols. Currently supported are SMTP/LMTP, POP3,
IMAP4 protocols together with several different storage solutions
(relational database via JPA and JDBC, File system with MailDir, JCR
Content Repsitory).

The James server also serves as a mail application platform. It hosts
the Apache Mailet API, and acts has a Mailet container. This feature
makes it easy to design, write, and deploy custom applications for
mail processing. This modularity and ease of customization is one of
James' strengths, and can allow administrators to produce powerful
applications surprisingly easily.

Features for that version include enhancements to nearly every area of
functionality, including full IMAP support, improved mailing list
capabilities, fastfail support, SMTP API for developing own fastfail
filters and the next revision of the Mailet API.

This was an exciting time in James development and we thank all contributors.

We are still actively looking for eager, capable developers to
contribute to James. If you're interesting in contributing to the
James project, please subscribe to the James mailing lists.

Information about James can be found at the James web site at
http://james.apache.org/.

You can grab the release here:
http://james.apache.org/download.cgi

An overview over the changes can be found here:
http://s.apache.org/Nkj

! Be aware this is a milestone so changes in the API are still possible. !

Have fun,
Norman

RE: [ANNOUNCE] James Server 3.0-M1 released

Posted by "John P. Collins III" <jo...@jpcollins3.com>.
Looks like I upgraded our James mail server just in time for the next
release to come out.  Some days you just shouldn't bother getting out of
bed.  At least I got to refamiliarize myself with the James code base and
how we are wired into it.  There's actually no hurry at the moment to
upgrade, but there are lots of new features including some for
reliability/security, as well as performance. I'll look over all the
material in more detail in the next few days.  I attached the note they sent
to the James Developer's List (which I'm on).

John

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
> Have fun,

thanks everyone for the hard work :-)

- robert

Re: [ANNOUNCE] James Server 3.0-M1 released

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Also on the apache blog
https://blogs.apache.org/james/entry/apache_james_3_0_m1

and on twitter